Chapter 2 - Nothing Will Stop The Journey

Darryl never thought that walking constantly could be so weary

Darryl never thought that walking constantly could be so weary. When he was with Zak, it wasn't that dreadful. That's likely because they took a lot of breaks. Now Darryl doesn't take any breaks. He certainly doesn't want to go on this lengthy expedition, but he does it anyway. For the sake of Zak. It's his obligation to him.

It's been a total of two days, so far, since Zak... left. He was still nowhere close to warmer climates. Sometimes he thinks that he hasn't moved at all.

The initial day was rather interesting. He walked for the majority of the day, then he set up camp along a rushing river. He was a bit concerned that a bear might show up and steal his place, but he was persistent.

The sun was not yet hidden below the horizon. The sun cast endless warm colors onto the landscape. The water rushed and splashed over rocks and other debris that was in its way, continuing its journey south.

Water splashed out onto Darryl's face, water droplets making a home on his glasses as he watched the rushing stream. As he wiped his glasses off on his coat, he noticed something moving in the stream. It was only a blur to him, however. There were multiple of them, though. Darryl slid his glasses in place on the bridge of his nose and peered into the icy blue. Trout flopped out of the water, splattering droplets of water everywhere. Darryl's stomach threw a fit as he watched the potential food.

A stick drifted into Darryl's view. He had an idea. Darryl reached for the floating stick. He had almost fallen in the freezing water in his attempt in doing so, but he managed to bring the stick safely back to shore.

It was surprisingly sturdy, for driftwood. Driftwood usually snaps in half or disintegrates with even the smallest amount of force. This stick must've only fallen in lately.

Darryl used the amount of time the sun was still up to improve the stick for his idea. He shaved the moderately sturdy end of the stick, forming it into a sharp point. He pricked his index finger on the point to be sure. He made sure to save the shavings for later. They could be useful in making a fire. Darryl tied a bit of rope on the end of the stick and the opposite side around his wrist so he wouldn't lose it, reminiscent of a Wii remote.