Chapter 4 - Do Not Go Gentle

The air got colder and colder as the sun took cover behind the horizon

The air got colder and colder as the sun took cover behind the horizon. Darryl trembled in the cold as he trekked through the bare woodland. He knew it wasn't that safe to reside in the forest. There were a few miles of forest left to go, however, and there was no way around.

Darryl trudged one more long mile in the nearly full darkness. It was twilight, and little light lingered in the atmosphere. He chose to set up camp. It would be too risky to proceed in the nighttime. He wouldn't be able to see where he was going. Besides, dangerous creatures roam at night, scouring for prey. Darryl didn't want to be that.

He didn't want to end up like the people in the Dyatlov Pass incident if it was an accident or not. It was an incident in which nine Russian hikers perished in the northern Ural mountains. During the night, something prompted the hikers to rip their way out of their tent and flee the campsite, all while inadequately dressed for the heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperatures.

Soviet authorities determined that six had died from hypothermia while the other three showed signs of physical trauma. These people got found. However, if something of this manner we're to have happened to Darryl, he wouldn't be found. There's no one around for miles.

Darryl dug in the snow down to dirt and then looked around for sticks. Good thing he was in a forest. The unfortunate thing is that's the only thing forests are beneficial for to him: sticks. Forests are primarily a nuisance. You can't detect if someone or something is sneaking up on you.

Darryl lined up sticks and fire kindle in the pit and lit it with his lighter. The fire gradually got bigger and Darryl hurled in additional sticks. He pulled out the journal and settled down near the fire. He read from the journal a while. He read about how to create rope from grass, toxic and safe-to-eat berries, and how to make a slingshot.

The issues weren't that beneficial to Darryl at the moment, but they were an interesting read. The original guy that inhabited the journal and wrote it knew some decent stuff. Too bad he died.

While Darryl was reading up on 'Different shelters to make,' he heard a twig snap from someplace behind him. Damn these woods. You can never know where anything is. Every sound makes its way to echo off of every single tree, rendering it impossible to find out where the source lies.