Chapter 31 - All She Had...

They bolted through the streets, waving goodbye to the agent.

William pulled Alexis around a corner to an alleyway. He pointed up at a ladder.

They got to the top and Alexis raced him across the buildings.

"How are we going to get to Alexandria, again?" Alexis asked.

"I have no bloody idea. We wouldn't be able to steal a car. We can't drive. If you flew us, it'll be faster."

"And drop you later?"

"Very funny."

Alexis smirked and fired off a building, rolling to the floor. William completed a clean slide flip.

"Well, we're in Tysons.. from here to Alexandria, that's about 13 miles or 20.9 kilometres." William pointed far in front of us.

"Mate, you do realise I'm like - nine and didn't do any maths," she said when she looked at Will.

"Oh. Oh yeah."

"Mhm. I may as well drop you," Alexis muttered.

"Wait! Are you going to drop me!?" he said.

"Maybe I won't. Maybe I will."

"Dickhead," he muttered.

Alexis boosted herself two buildings in front of him using air.

______________________________________________________

They headed to something called a 'subway.' Basically a fast car.

They dashed down a staircase leading underground. There were a lot of people. Still, not as many as the number at the airport.

William glued to being normal. Alexis stuck to being her. Being weird.

She was whipping her head around to avoid being hit by someone. William grabbed her hand as a dog barked and sped behind her.

They bought tickets and found a spot to lay at. William leaned against the wall and dragged himself down. Alexis sagged against the wall. They observed everyone's moves. Incase someone they knew had followed them.

A grey obstacle blurred in front of Alexis. Shocked, she straightened.

"That, young one, is a train."

"Oh, shut up." He smirked at her.

Another train came in a few minutes later and their doors opened.

"Come on," Will said as he stood and grasped her hand.

The two took a seat.

Now, while William was talking, Alexis nodded and answered, but her mind was elsewhere. She'd only just considered what they'd do after they'd completed this case.

Because Clover wasn't here.

She'd never had any grandparents. They were murdered before her birth.

First mother and step-mother are both dead.

And she'd lost everything and everyone.

And then she studied William. His parents were also gone. He also had lost everything and everyone.

They only had each other.

The subway train began to rock. Alexis gripped the handle of the chair. The subway shook roughly. Harshly, only very few people flopped off of their seats.

William grabbed Alexis's hand.

The lights flickered.

Flashed.

Darkened.

Shone.

She turned to William and then shouted in alarm when she saw his eyes. Alexis heard a low growl from the opposite side of her. She faced the sound, staring at a man. His eyes...

Alexis got up from the seat and slowly walked backwards, every pair of eyes were dead cold and stared into her heart.

All of them were corrupted by Arlos's magic.