Chapter - 2 : Answers

The Tomlinson Manor, L.A.

I walked slowly towards the glass coffin. To be honest, I didn't want to see Father like this. The 'old man' of the Tomlinson Manor was no more, and I still didn't want to accept that fact. Not yet.

I stood at the head of the coffin, looking expressionless and cold, but my heart was hammering inside my rapidly heaving chest.

The pure white hair and the beard gave Father an air of serenity, unlike his usual grim and scowling face. The eyes were closed and the wrinkles were more pronounced than ever.

I remembered him so clearly; the sea green eyes that gave him an aura of mischief and humour, and his imposing demeanor, which commanded respect almost anywhere.

A long held back tear escaped my eyes. The truth finally sank into my mind. Dad wasn't there for anyone, anymore.

Just then Avery burst into the room, panting. "Dad! NO!", she cried, sinking into Mom's arms. I walked down from the pedestal and began walking towards the exit. Mom called out, "Louis, where are you going?"

"Dad's room.", I replied without any emotion in my voice.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The room was surprisingly sombre. I expected Dad to have the room colourfully painted or something like that, but the walls were fully covered with Oriental designs.

I moved slowly around the room, looking at all the artefacts and things that he had stored over a lifetime of 75 years.

I came to the massive table made of red oak, at the very last. Papers were left as they were, no one had touched them since Dad's demise. I thumbed through some of the papers under a paperweight, and finally took my hands away, just to find a very weird-looking letter stuck to my ring.

"What's this?", I wondered. The seal was already broken, so I took the letter out. Opening it, I found the following;

Mark,

Do you think I would let you live out your years in retirement peacefully? If you think so, please reconsider your thoughts. I have targets on your son and daughter, right now as you receive this letter.

Hope you remember our agreement, Mark. I wouldn't have to put in so much effort, just to see you die due to your food getting poisoned.

Or something like that. Who knows? Maybe you may die a natural death, but what matters is that agreement.

Yours truly,

ANONYMOUS.

I crushed the paper slowly in my hands, rage overtaking my senses. Father did NOT die of natural causes.

Someone killed him, and I'm not going to rest until I have the blood of the killer on my hands.

I stomped out of the room, and thundered towards the servants' quarters. Bursting into Arnold's room, I yelled, "ARNOLD! COME HERE!".

Arnold came running over to the place where I stood, and asked quietly, "What is it, Master Tomlinson?". He usually calls me Master Louis. He called only Dad as Master Tomlinson. Now he's using it for me.

"I need you to inform every one of Dad's contacts and everyone at Tomlinson Corporation that Mark Tomlinson has passed away, and his elder son, Louis Tomlinson is taking over as the CEO.", I said.

A small smile played on Arnold's lips. "As you wish, Master Tomlinson.", he said, and hurried out of the room.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .