Chapter - 7 : Reminiscences

LOUIS' P.O.V. :

"Okay, okay, okay! Now stop strangling me.", he huffed.

Due to the fact that I was a good guy, AND also that he was the only way to know about my father's past; I let him loose from my grip. "Get in the car.", I said.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

We were seated in the Mercedes, and the air-con was blasting on or sweating bodies. I saw Harry contemplating on something deeply, before letting out one deep sigh. "Since you are so adamant, hear this."

*************************************************

I had just came out of my soldier training from Parris Island. I had originally planned to join the Marine Corps, but that's when I saw your dad for the first time. 

I think you don't know, but your dad was building his criminal empire all around the world when your mom was telling you, "Your daddy's out on a business trip, Louis. He'll  be back soon!".

I remember the date so clearly. It was 20 June, a clear and sunny summer evening. I was seated in a cafe, drinking half-decaf coffee and enjoying the quiet scenery. You probably don't know this too; but your dad had another four children.

The breath was knocked out of me for a good few seconds. I didn't even want to hear anything else after that, but I had to. While I was focussed on my patented research, my dad had been up to a few tricks.

"Four?", I whispered, almost inaudibly. "It's Johannah.", Harry said as quietly. "Mom had secrets too? Why did she hide them from me?", I asked, afraid to know the answer. "Your dad.", he said, without flinching.

"Lottie! Daisy! Don't run to places where I can't catch you!", he laughed. I stood up immediately after seeing how heavily his bodyguards were armed. Mark Tomlinson probably carried a small army around with him. I wanted to talk to him, but not before the bodyguards had checked each and every part of me. They even got the ballpoint pen that I had, suspecting me.

"They can be a little tiresome at times, little one. You're Desmond's boy, aren't you?", he asked. I nodded, trying to ask the question that raged in my mind. "Mark?", I asked, unsure.

"Yes, m'boy?"

"These kids?"

"Oh, bad of me. Let me introduce you to my daughters! Meet Lottie and Fizzy the twins, and Daisy and Phoebe!", he said, excited as a child. 

"Does Louis know?", I asked. His face darkened with some inexplicable emotion, anger, maybe? Reverting to his usual stance, he said, "Let's sit and talk."

************************************

We were seated under one of those cool umbrellas on the beach. He turned to me, and said, "Listen here, Harry. I'll tell you, Louis never knew. And he doesn't have to.". "But why? He's your firstborn! He has the right to know! Doesn't he?", I asked.

"Harry. You forget that I've got a lot of enemies. It was different when I was unmarried, but I have kids. A lot of them. Louis and Avery don't know about them. If they know, my position, and even my life might be in peril. I'm doing this for the safety of my family, Harry. 

I'm breaking a perfect family, due to this criminal empire, which has been a curse to me so far. I'm so proud of Louis, he might just put an end to this unnecessary violence and maybe could even bring a good name to the family's name. 

If the world knows that the Tomlinson family was such a large one, danger will become a constant companion even for the kids. They will grow up thinking that the world has been cruel to them, and therefore vent their anger on the society at large. Assassinations and murders shouldn't be known to their innocent minds.", he said.

I sat silent, poring over his words and thinking deeply. We sat in silence for a long period of time. I broke the silence. "Mark, I'm thinking of joining the Marines. What is your say?", I asked. "Oh, that's wonderful! You could help me over that, too!" 

"And thus I became an assassin, because of your father's thoughts and actions. And I don't regret it. Not even a little bit. I enjoy it. And so does my sister.", Harry completed his speech. I was silent, looking thunderstruck. Four sisters? That doesn't make any sense. How come I never knew of them?

"C'mon, let's go.", I said. "Get that bike and get to the Fortune Sangam, I'll meet you there."