Seven - Sexism and Snooping

**I don't have the time to edit over these chapters anymore so I'm basically just posting it just how I had it saved in my computer. I wrote these around four years ago so I apologize in advance**

I would like to honestly inform you that I am probably the most average girl in the entire world, looks wise. I had choppy, messy layered brown hair, boring brown eyes. I was the typical 100 pound, muscle-free girl that wasn’t especially beautiful or particularly ugly. If you happened to walk past me about fifty times in a day at the mall, you probably would not even notice my constant presence. I am that average.

For some reason, on Friday our health teacher was letting us, a class of teenage delinquents, understand that we are all unique in our own ways. It was awful and excruciatingly annoying. Something about the lecture gave off the Disney Channel inspirational attempt kind of vibe. The worst part is, it was quite interactive.

“Everyone here has to tell me one thing that’s unique about themselves.”

Everyone groaned, and one guy said, “If everyone’s unique, doesn’t that kind of make us all the same?”

“In only that one sense, yes,” the teacher said, “but other than that, unique means you have certain characteristics which are uncommon or at least different from most of the…”

I zoned out at the window for about six minutes, wondering how things like popcorn and cotton candy were invented, and how fat a person had to get before they couldn’t move anymore.

“What’s special about you, Krysalynne?” Ms. Carr asked me, catching me way off guard.

“Well, let’s see,” I answered coolly, pretending I had been listening the whole time. “I go to Grand Mills, and at least ninety-nine point nine percent of this state’s population can’t say the same about themselves.”

“I’m aware of that,” Ms. Carr responded without patience. “One hundred percent of the students at this school can say the same, though. What I’m asking is, what’s different from you about you than your classmates?”

“I guess the fact that I’m the only one here who’s not special?” I suggested. I heard a few people laugh in the back of the class, and I was unsure if what I said was funny or just stupid.

Annoyed, Ms. Carr quit with asking us questions about our specialness and started to talk about something else that possibly could have been related to it… I wasn’t listening. Before she could completely finish explaining, the bell rang to our relief, and I found myself being half trampled to death by a crowd of students eager to get out of class.

“Seriously, what did Ms. Carr expect to get out of us?” I asked Smalls as we walked out of the classroom.

“I’m special because I’m pretty,” she responded sarcastically in a valley-girl voice.

I laughed. “I’m literally so done with that class. I thought health was all about abstinence and vegetables, not psychological uplifting.”

It was Smalls’ turn to laugh. “You got some major props today though, Doherty. It’s pretty obvious Ms. Carr would’ve kept going if you didn’t push her over the edge.”

“It’s what I’m here for,” I responded, smiling pridefully. We approached the C9 dorm entrance and I glanced behind me to see who else from our dorm was behind us. As Smalls unlocked the door, I said, “Hey, Alexis and I are gonna go put down our bags in our room, but we’ll be back in the common room in a sec.”

“Cool beans,” Small replied with a careless shrug.

I walked by all the couches and beanbags in the common room and made my way too my dorm room in a matter of seconds. I dumped my backpack on the floor with a relieved sigh and pulled down my hoodie that hung from the top of the bunk bed.