(6)

things had been the same until the 44th dose. where renjun has started to become sensitive and needy.

night had taken over, it was about 8 p.m or something. having dinner at the living room, mark was honestly surprised to see renjun still having his appetite. surely being drugged must've drain his energy a bit, the dizziness and the slight burn in his abdomen doesn't seem to appease that as well.

but well, would you look at that. renjun munching down his rice with hot pot serving on the table. mark learned how to cook that dish after knowing that was his favorite, not that he'll admit it of course.

again, renjun was still quiet. the only sound coming from him was the chopsticks snapping and picking up tofu from the soup. mark doesn't have any choice but to dwell in his silence as well. sending a few concern glances towards the boy whenever he started to twitch like-

why is he trembling? is he cold? but he's sweating like hell even with the air conditioner on, so why on earth is he trembling? a fever, maybe? should he be worried? he looks sick, but he always looked like that before. is it the drug? is he in pain-

"if you have something to share, minhyung, spit it out." his voice held no venom, but mark can tell he's agitated. it doesn't help the spreading blush on his face, it gets even red as time goes by, now that mark noticed.

"fourty four times. that's how many times you've taken the drugs." mark calmly states, hand stirring his black coffee. "i'm just worried."

"then stop." mark slightly flinched at the tone.

"this is nowhere deadly as my other missions, mark. you would know that as much," he paused and stilled his body, "especially."

with that bitter end, renjun slumped down. chopsticks halt at prying his bowl. he bite his lips again, probably anxious.

of what? mark doesn't know.

"how do you feel, at least?" the older sighed, nothing better to do than some observation and questioning. his past expectations long forgotten if this is the renjun he'll have to deal with.

sad and upset.

mark hates it. the look on his face, as if self conscious. his frown, the way it wrinkles his forehead and the deep furrow on his eyebrows. those eyes, especially,

cold and empty.

it's like talking to a machine, which is probably what renjun used to be. mark has heard of his past, how terrible it was and traumatized the poor boy. before all of that title "first rank agent huang", he was a dirty, cold-hearted killing device used by some greedy people.

mark didn't want him to go back his old ways, reliving bad memories and blaming himself all over again. he wanted the boy to feel safe, cared and loved.

when renjun starts, mark pulled himself back to the boy.

"it's uncomfortable, sickening," he paused, only to whisper, "disgusting." grimacing as he ended his words. clenching tightly to his utensils, gritting his teeth.

this made mark regret on asking him, especially during supper. but he couldn't hold back from asking, "why?" settling his own utensils down to his plate, and resting his elbows on the table. eyes boring into the boy sitting criss cross in front of him.