Chapter Two

I was taken into a big building surrounded by similar ambulances and on the front of the building was a bold written statement "Hospital Entrance". I feel like I have seen this before too, I have seen the streets, houses, strangers. How is it possible to know a place so well yet never set foot or eyes on it?
To recognise a place you've never seen?
It can't be true. Why are my memories so blurry?

A nurse approached me from the glossy lift and put me into one of the beds.
"What's wrong sir?" Asked the nurse.
"I'm guessing it's this." I reply, lifting my top to my rib cage.
"Aren't you in pain? You look very calm for someone who has just been stabbed."
"What's pain?"
"Pain... It's a sensation that stings severely, it's not nice. It can be a weakness or a cause of determination. Can you feel it?"
"No, it's itchy. Tingles, tickles, both!"
I complain, itching it more, getting the liquid on my hands.
"Don't do that, you might get an infection or the blood will make a mess. Try not to touch it."
"Ah, so that's what that was." I pause for a second to contemplate.
"It tastes like metal, doesn't it? Will it kill me?"
"No." She sighed. "So, you're unable to to feel pain... It's extremely likely you have congenital analgesia."
I sit in silence, that word... Like someone addicted to a substance is an addict, won't that mean I'm a genitalia?
I'm mixing the end of these words together. 'genital' and 'ia' is the only logical explanation.
"That makes me genitalia." I mumble. A patient walking past with his parents started laughing at the words.
"Hey! It's not my fault I'm a genitalia!"
"No, no, no, you are NOT that! There is no such thing." She panicked. That wide-eyed face soon changed to a rather sly look. What is she hiding?

She cleaned my wound and began to stitch it up, and the urge to sing hit me, rose in my chest.
"Another motherless child, kiss a childless mother goodnight, sleeps in a tomb, quiet in her empty womb." I sang quietly to myself. The nurse have me a concerned look.
"Perhaps you shouldn't sing that in here? You know, people in here do lose their newborn babies... It's rather insensitive" she whispered, doing up the last few stitches.
"Oh, it's about chernobyl" I blurt, like I knew that as a fact. I don't even know what chernobyl is.
"Try another song."
"When the blazing sun is gone, when the nothing comes along, though I know not what you are, twinkle twinkle little star... I don't know how I remember all this, I can't really remember anything very well."
It was that look again, but not so meaningful, a smile tinted the corners of her lips.
"What's your name sir?"
"I-I don't know, I'm twenty t-though, I think. Yes. That's it!"
"Remember any family or friends? Any you might know their numbers?"
"Don't have friends. The numbers are unknown." I look down at my sickly coloured skin, my veins sticking out, pulsing on my hands like parasites.
"Well how about a nickname for now? Lullaby? You seem to like... slightly dark lullabies and songs, so why not?"
The word flooded me with satisfaction, and the moment turns golden, a warm ness cuddled my frail body.
A grin covered my face, so wide it looked like it was stapled to my cheek-bones.

"How about emotional pain, Lullaby? Can you feel sad?"
"Sad?" I zone out a little bit, the past echoing in my ears with no trace. "Cry? Well, I haven't in many many years... But who's to say I'm a robot. Perhaps?"
"And lastly, when were you before the attack, and when did your memory loss begin."
"I was in an alley way when I woke up and then he stabbed me about a minute after, the last time I can remember being awake was 2005, December 12th."
"Okay. Lullaby, I can now positively diagnose you with amnesia, caused by head injuries and coma. Nobody can stay asleep 10 whole years otherwise."
"It's 2015?!" I gasp. She nods, finishing her writing on her clip board, pats me on the shoulder and replies,
"See you in a bit, I'm going to give this to the information desk, tell someone in here if you remember anything. Okay, Hun?"
I nod obediently.

She left me alone, so I wandered off, hiding from nurses everywhere, out into the fresh afternoon air.