Chapter 3

Destiny

When Axel was done choking me, we said goodnight and went to bed. I already took a nap early, so I decided to look at the stars. I leaned against my bedroom window only to see the crescent moon and glittering stars light up the night. Looking at the night sky always calms me down. That and seeing grandma beat up Axel.

I laughed at the memory of grandma hitting Axel in the head with her stick. Grandma always looked out for me. She would always side with me when mom would punish me for the smallest things. She just hates me because I'm seen as an outcast. It's not my fault I was born magicless. After all, the Dragon Tamer had no magic either. Grandma said that was the untold truth.

"Mph, I wonder what people would think if they knew the truth," I sighed. I took one last look at the moon, then blew out the candle on the window.

"Thanks to mom's punishment I have to make breakfast for the whole week, which means an early bedtime." With another sigh, I closed my eyes trying to relax enough to sleep.

*

It's getting hot in here. 

 Why do I smell smoke? 

 I opened my eyes to my room engulfed in flames! I found a safe passage out of the room and ran to wake everyone up. To my horror, the fire had already spread throughout the house. I couldn't see anything, nor could I advance any further. I tried my best to see through the flames and get to my brother's room as quickly as possible. 

 Our rooms were next to each other, so it was easier for me to maneuver through the flames. I hoped, at least, he was still okay. When I got there Axel's room, I found him on the floor. I tried to wake him up, but he wasn't moving.

"Axel! Axel, come on! This isn't funny anymore!" Tears poured out of my eyes as I tried to wake him. I sat on my legs and put Axel's head on my lap. I noticed the flames weren't your average flames. At that moment, they gathered together, and to my horror revealed a dragon with immense anger in its eyes. I wanted to scream, but my voice froze and my blood went cold.

The beast looked at me and growled. It roared before leaping at me and Axel. I screamed.

"Ahhhh!"

*

I jumped from my bed sweating and panting. I looked around the room to see if there any sign of a fire. There wasn't. 'It was just a nightmare. That's all it was, right?' I thought to myself. Suddenly, Axel came bursting into my room with his sword.

"Destiny!" he shouted with worry. He then ran to me giving me a big hug. His breathing was heavy.

"Axel?"

He looked me in the eye, "Are you okay? I heard you scream."

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. I just had a nightmare, a really bad one."

I played with my blanket because I couldn't look Axel in the eyes. My nightmare felt so real, I really thought I lost him. My brother, my big brother who's looked after me since the very beginning.

Axel

I saw her tears fall on the blanket. For some reason, she couldn't look me in the eye. Whatever nightmare she had must've really scared her. I held her in my arms to calm her down. I've seen my sister cry before, but not like this. She was crying her eyes out. She held onto me real tight, like she was never going to see me again.

"Oh, Destiny, shhh. Shhh, it's okay. The nightmare's over, your big brother's here," I said softly in her ear. I broke the hug and held her face wiping away her tears. I smiled at her and she smiled back.