Change

Holly's Point of View:

I made my way home alone, Mom had texted me earlier that he'd felt like throwing up so she took him home. The rest of Halloween had actually gone really well in my opinion. Our theatre teacher, upon seeing how Charlotte, Ellie, and I had dressed, had the class put on a performance of Masquerade, nothing serious, just randomly dancing around.

Oddly enough Jack hung out with me the majority of the day, maybe it was because Auggie wasn't there, but at any rate, he seemed to have decided to sit next to me in every class we had together. I wasn't complaining, for whatever reason he seemed a lot more understanding about everything after the conversation he had with me, but it didn't stop me from being confused almost every minute of the day.

" Once we've begun, if we stand as one someday becomes somehow, and a prayer becomes a vow..." I started up the steps before taking out my key and unlocking the front door, knowing that if Auggie had a stomach ache mom would be upstairs taking care of him and wouldn't be able to get the door.

I headed straight up to my room as always, there wouldn't be a reason for me to head anywhere else, if Auggie wasn't feeling well he was in good hands with Mom. I was lying on my bed, listening to show tunes as always, when mom knocked on my door.

" Auggie wants to talk to you, sweetie."

I made my way down to the second floor, half excited that my brother was choosing to talk to me, half confused at why he did." Mom said you wanted to talk to me."

He lay on his bed, staring up at the ceiling, not looking at me, even from a distance I could tell he'd been crying." What'd you say?"

I stopped in the doorway and looked at him questioningly." What do you mean?"

" What'd you say Holly... when Julian asked you what was up with me..."

I sighed and looked down at the floor."... you heard?"

" Yeah."

I looked back up." I didn't... I didn't say a thing, I didn't want to say a word because I didn't know how to respond Auggie. I know I should've stood up for you, but I was afraid... I didn't."

" You said nothing?... Holly... why?"

" Like I said, I was scared Auggie... scared of what would happen if I spoke."

" That doesn't make it any better."

" I know it doesn't!" I suddenly yelled." I know it didn't help in the slightest, I know I did something awful! But you can't say you wouldn't do the same, you wouldn't think to do that for me- No one would! For once in my life I'm happy, people... people know who I am for me! I'm no longer just your sister anymore! I'm my own person! I'm Happy!"

" I hope you are... I'm not going back to school, mom said I could quit whenever I wanted, I'm quitting now, we're going back to being homeschool, back to where I'm happy."

" You're happy!? YOU'RE HAPPY!? That's all anyone ever thinks of! No one cares if I'm ever happy, only you!" I yelled, tears streaming down my face." You're all anyone ever cares about! NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW I'M FEELING DID YOU EVER THINK ABOUT THAT!? You know what. I hope you are happy with your decision... I hope you're happy about the pain you've caused me."

I left his door standing open as I marched down the hallway and upstairs back to my room before slamming the door behind me and falling face-first onto my bed. Without even bothering to get changed out of my Halloween costume I curled up into a ball and fell asleep still crying.