First Days are Tough

Holly's Point of View:

I quickly woke up in the morning of the first day of school at precisely 5:00, which Via had told me was excessively early considering it was the first day of school, and that I was quick to get ready, and that the School was just a block away.

As soon as I was up I turned off my alarm and put on my glasses before sliding out of bed before tucking the sheets in and propping up the pillows so it would look nice, you know in case any burglars broke into my house they wouldn't think I was messy. I took the clothes I'd prepared and left on my desk, which were just jeans and a plain white t-shirt as always, and got changed before opening my curtains and opening my window to water my window box.

Javert watched me as I put on my socks and my grey sneakers before letting him out of his cage to fly freely around my room. Looking around to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything, I took my newsies hat from its hook on the door along with a grey cardigan and my new messanger bag before heading into the bathroom.

" Your alarm woke me up," Via, who was already in the bathroom, grumbled, brushing her hair.

" Sorry," I stood at the other sink and combed out my hair, which didn't really have that many tangles and didn't really need to be combed because of how straight it naturally was ( A/N: this isn't unrealistic, my cousin's hair is like this and I swear it's magical). She rolled her eyes at my childhood innocence, which somehow hadn't been ruined by musicals yet, as I quickly braided my hair before putting my hat on and putting on my music note earrings that I always wore.

After brushing my teeth I headed back into my room and walking over to the door before stopping and realizing that no one else was awake this early so I couldn't just head down for breakfast. Sighing, I flopped down onto my bed and stared up at the ceiling for about half an hour before taking out one of my books, The Princess Bride to be precise, and reading until around seven when I heard someone, probably mom, moving around in the kitchen.

" Morning Mom, morning Dad." I opened up the cupboard and took out what I'd need to make oatmeal.

" Good morning Holly," Mom said to me with a smile as I shuffled through the kitchen, making myself breakfast.

Dad nodded to me while he was eating his bowl of cereal as Via walked down the stairs and took out a bowl to make herself cereal as well.

" Well Holly," Via said, sitting down at the table." Now you know that you don't have to wake up at five in the morning."

" Yes, yes, and you'll probably be holding that over my head for at least the next week." I poured my oatmeal into a bowl and, after adding sugar and fruit to the top, sat down next to Via before beginning to eat.

We sat in nervous silence as Mom busied herself by making Auggie's breakfast.

" Mom?" I asked as I got up." Do you want any help cleaning up the dishes?"

" Huh? Oh, yes, Holly I'd really appreciate that."

" I'll help too," Via offered, joining Mom and me in the Kitchen as Dad got up to and went upstairs to go check on Auggie.

I stepped out the front door ahead of Mom, Dad, Auggie, and Via, as all of us were walking together... at least until we reached Beecher Prep. I smiled lightly at my entire family before putting in my earbuds and beginning to listen to Come From Away.

The walk to school reminded me of all the times I'd walked these streets but it was off. It didn't feel normal to feel so normal, I wasn't used to being an ordinary kid surrounded by all these other ordinary kids.

" Meanwhile on our plane, we didn't have a clue. We were all going insane because there wasn't squat to do!..."

We arrived at the school and the five of us all stopped.

" Okay, so this is it, big boy," Dad said to Auggie as Via gave me a hug goodbye.

" Have a great first day," Via said, turning to our brother." I love you."

" You too."

" I love you Auggie." Dad gave Auggie a hug.

" Bye."

" Bye Mom..." I said, waving to her but she was too emotional over Auggie as she gave him a hug to notice me. I turned around to look at the school before beginning to walk away from my family as I began to listen to Waving Through A Window.