Chapter 22

"So..." Kyoka said as soon as she finished packing up her files to one of the binders, her laptop still out in case of emergency and she needs something to distract her, "Are you coming?"

Momo timidly looked up her phone, her body language was enough to tell Kyoka that she was only nervous and not uncomfortable. Inside, she was desperately wishing to patch things up with her.

Momo played with the cat that was attached to her phone, "Where am I coming?" If it wasn't for Kyoka's sensitive hearing, she wouldn't have heard as clear.

"Kumino? My little sister's birthday party. Did Mayla not tell you?" There it was, her best effort to make this work. The teasing glint in her voice.

Momo's eyes widen, placing her phone down the table and leaned on the table with a very amused look on her face, "That was your sister's?!" Momo tangled her hand on her hair, "How did I not know that?" She looked back at her, anxiety filling her eyes, "I'm very sorry... I-I didn't know..."

Kyoka waved her off dismissively, "It's alright."

Then there was silence, it wasn't as awkward as earlier but still hovered above them, nonetheless.

Momo fidgeted with her cat chain again, feeling the need to say the unspoken question that she very well knew Kyoka had seen it coming. But she held back, in hopes to not rot her mood.

But if she could just drown all those anxieties and hesitance, she could actually relax and smile. Truth to be told, there was always this comfortable aura around Kyoka whenever she was close. Only when she was close.

Oh how she just wanted to stand and sit beside Kyoka to feel that ease slipping in her bones.

But she didn't. She couldn't. Weeks of trying and failing to have the courage, she knew Kyoka's opinions over those who are richer than necessary.

Clicking reached her ears and her eyes shot to the fingers tapping fast on the laptop's keyboard. It was mesmerising to see something move so fast, clicking into places in a fast motion knowing where to go in an instant. She looked up and saw Kyoka's brow furrowed, eyes focused on the screen in front of her, seemingly having a difficult situation.

When Kyoka looked back at, penetrating her walls with those sharp eyes, Momo withered on her seat, shuffling and shuddering.

The small action was enough for her to blurt out words that her other side was tempting to say, "What are you doing?" That was a start. But that kind of start made her nerves burst into unknown emotion.

Kyoka's fingers stopped moving and Momo bit the insides of her lips, expecting a glare in return or just ignorance and the clicking would soon return.

Instead, Kyoka sighed and rubbed her temple, turning the laptop towards Momo.

The taller girl created a pair of reading glasses from her palm, the skin glistening in pink glitter. She put those on and scanned the lists of websites.

She smiled brightly, knowing what all of these were.

She looked up, giddiness taking over her nerves, "Looking for a venue for Kumino's Party?"

Kyoka met her eyes, and Momo's bets everything she has that there were some sheepishness hiding behind that stoic expression, "Yeah.. but I can't seem to find something that could fit my budget."

Momo nodded, her hands taking over the clicking. It wasn't the same kind of keyboard she uses back at her dorms, hers was far more compact and mobile, making her more impressed about Kyoka's mobility.

"Kumino loves views." Kyoka says, leaning on the table to take a peak of Momo's work, "She says whenever she sees the hues of sunset made her feel like she could sing endlessly."

Something about that was so familiar. Something that she feels like she had forgotten but she shoved those down and hummed in reply.

Her fingers got to work, much more slower than Kyoka's pace.

She opened a website that her company was friends with, or rather, have a business contract to. They have the best venues with a beautiful view of the sunset and night sky.

Kyoka's eyes widen when she saw the website.

"I-I can't afford Awase Corporates!" She glared at Momo like she knew what the girl was about to do, "And you wont pay for it."

Momo's heart fluttered a little, she knew that was supposed to be a threat but she can't help but let her heart beat a little faster.

"Nobody's paying. Mother signed a contract with the CEO a year earlier, she wanted to have sacred places to go to whenever she feels the need to cry, in exchange, the company gives them exclusive access to the latest release. Wether it's a smart watch, to a private jet." Momo explained, clicking on a few buttons, "We have nothing to worry about, you're budget can focus solely on the decorations."

She pressed something that led to another page, a blank message for the CEO.

She turned it back to Kyoka, feeling shy about her presentation.

When she saw the girl still glaring at her, she couldn't help but feel like she had done something wrong.

She sunk in her seat, her heart aching.

"I appreciate the help, Yaoyorozu but I can handle myself." There it was, she closed herself again. She exited the page and lousily scrolled down the lists. Don't come and just snoop around my things after that... was what she heard by her body language.

Momo cleared her throat and felt her eyes sting a little. She gathered her black purse and empty coffee cup, starting to stand a little. She needed a vent.

Everything her heart had built up crumbled. Her hopes crushed. It hurt. It hurt to be rejected, even if it wasn't meant towards her. It hurt when you were actually trying.

She sighed, a shaky breath making her almost slip control of her tears, "I have to go, but before that..." She looked up, uncertain, "Why'd you invite me?" Why'd you invite me, if you hate me?

"Don't think about it too much, Kumino forced me and I only did just that."

That was the last straw. A crack from her insides only she could hear. A tear fell and she rubbed her eyes and faked a yawn, stepping out of her seat.

She forced a smile, a very forced in fact that it actually hurt.

"Thank you for having me sit here. I promise I wont be a bother..." The last part was only a mutter but Kyoka picked it up with her sensitive hearing.

Momo didn't come to school that day.