Chapter 30 ❈ Grocery Run

I woke up Saturday morning with the worst headache. But that's the consequence I deserve for drinking so much. I brushed my hair out and put in up in a ponytail. I washed my face but didn't bother putting on any makeup yet. I left on the clothes I'd slept in and quietly made my way downstairs.
Michael was in the kitchen chatting with Anthony about boats and stuff while they cooked breakfast together. How sweet... even though I hated Anthony's guts right now. Michael looked up first when I came down.
"Morning Ivy!" he said cheerfully, causing Ant to lift his head as well.
"Hey," I replied, smiling slightly as I came nearer.
"Oh Anthony! Would you mind going on a grocery run in a bit? We could use some things from the store." Michael asked. My mom walked in from the hallway where their bedroom is.
"Yeah no problem!" he answered.
"Why don't you take Mia and Ivy with you as well! I'm sure the trip would be much quicker that way!" suggested my Mom.
"Ohh-" Anthony and I said at the same time, but I let him speak.
"I'm not sure Mia would want to go, she's still um... sleeping." More like she screamed her head off at Anthony last night.
"Okay, well then you two can go" Michael said. I looked at Anthony and we both had matching worried faces.
"Uh, I can j-just stay here." I said.
"No Ivy, don't be rude." scolded my mom.
"Mom I-"
"It won't take you long especially if there's two of you!" she insisted. I gave up and agreed. I went up and got changed to go out. I tied a jacket around my waist to have incase I got cold:

I grabbed my phone and my purse and headed back down to the living room

I grabbed my phone and my purse and headed back down to the living room. Anthony was waiting on the couch man-spreading while looking at his phone.
"K I'm ready." I said and we went out to the driveway.

He unlocked his car and we both got in. I tilted my knees away from him, keeping as much distance as possible and looked out the window. He turned on some music and opened the windows making my hair blow. I closed my eyes, feeing the cool pine air rush against my face. Anthony looked over at me, watching me when he should've been watching the road.
"Ant... the road." I said raising an eyebrow at him. He turned forward quickly and didn't respond.
After driving along green forest roads for 15 minutes we got into the town and turned into the grocery store parking lot. We both hopped out and went through the automatic doors.

"Gimme the list." I ordered. He handed me the paper and I took a picture. "I'll get the top half while you get the rest of the groceries." I said, getting a basket.
"But-"
"But what?"
"C-can we just go together?" he asked.
"No Anthony. It'll go much quicker this way and you probably don't want me near you anyway." I snapped. He rolled his eyes and resentfully got his own basket. I walked away from him looking at the photo of what we needed.

The first items on the list were bagels and hamburger buns so I went to the bread aisle and put some in my basket. Cheerios and Cinnamon Toast Crunch were next so I went to find the cereals. I looked down the aisles as I passed them and saw Anthony standing in one of them, I glared at him and turned my head away. I got both boxes and placed them in my basket, leaving me with three items to find. Ketchup was next so I found the condiments aisle and got a bottle. The last groceries on my list were yogurt and cream cheese. I remembered seeing the dairy on the other side of the store when we walked in the doors so I headed back that way.
I looked around in the cold shelves for yogurt and when I got it I saw a hand reach for something on a lower shelf near me. I looked to see who the arm belonged to and it was Anthony of course. I ignored him and searched for cream cheese which I couldn't find for the life of me.
"Hey Ivy?" Anthony said trying to get my attention, but I continued my silence.
"Ivy I'm sorry okay! Please wont you just talk to me?" I exhaled sharply and stood up straight, looking him in his pretty blue eyes.
"Sure, I'm here now and we're alone. So talk." I said directly.
He prepared himself, then finally he spoke, "I- I know that there's something between us but you and I both know we can't have whatever it is. I'm with Mia. She's my girlfriend of two years who I love and I can't ruin that." It hurt me to hear it out loud from him but he was right.
I took a deep breath and replied, "I don't know what you're talking about." His face fell and I felt kind of terrible. "I just think of you as a friend that's it." I continued.
"Oh-" he said quietly, his eyes falling. My chest hurt from seeing him so sad and from being so mean.
We stood there for a moment, not moving until I felt teardrops prick at my eyes. I didn't want him to see so I moved away, pretending to continue looking for the yogurt.
I wiped each tear that fell and made my way to checkout after finding all the groceries. I put the items on the conveyor and Anthony found me, putting the others on too. He payed with the money Michael gave him and we loaded everything into the car.
I got in first and sat in the passenger seat. I watched Ant as he ducked into the car. He didn't look at me at all and backed the car out of the parking spot. His eyes looked red and his nose was a little pink, had he been crying too?

I contemplated all my decisions on our way home and felt like a total bitch. Some part of me really did want him but some part of me also hated him- I wasn't sure exactly for what. Well I'm ready for a totally peaceful anxiety-free day on the lake ugh.
We pulled into the driveway and Mia was sitting on the steps in front of the door. She stood up with her arms crossed glaring at me hard. Ant opened his door and stood up. Mia came over and threw her arms around his neck giving him a long kiss so I could see. Damn so I guess she decided to forgive him already. He snaked his hands around her waist and hugged her back.
"Hi baby." he said smiling at her and giving her a little kiss on her nose.

Word Count: 1161 words