Chapter 48 ❈ Playground

When we got back to class I put my paper slip on Ms. Brian's desk and hurried back to my seat. I completely ignored Griffin for the rest of the day, which wasn't very hard because he didn't even try to apologize. As I drove home, I glanced over at my phone probably fifty times in hopes of there being a text from Anthony to cheer me up. I pulled into my driveway and grabbed my stuff, still no text from Anthony. I went inside, headed straight up the stairs, and dropped my bag near my desk. I went in my bathroom to pee and when I came out, I took my phone out from my bag. The screen lit up when I plugged it in to charge- but still no text. By the time I'd finished all my homework my mom texted me she wouldn't be back until long after dinner and to not wait up for her. I moped down to the kitchen to fix myself some sort of dinner and decided to just make some comfort food: pasta. Once I had eaten and cleaned up, I went to take a warm shower and get ready for bed. Of course, before getting in I checked my phone again, and I wasn't too surprised when my notifications were still empty.
In the shower I tried to keep Anthony out of my mind, but I couldn't help thinking up numerous possibilities for why I hadn't heard from him. He was most likely just with Mia—which I hated the thought of— even though she was his girlfriend after all. When I turned the water off my mom called into my bedroom saying goodnight and to let me know she was home. I brushed my teeth and got under my covers feeling my freshly shaved legs rub against the sheets with a silky feeling. I couldn't fall asleep though because I really wasn't tired at all. I rolled over to glance at the time and it read 10:45. I've seriously been laying here for almost an hour?? I don't want to go to school tomorrow, Mel found out she has strep-throat the other day so I was sure she wouldn't be at school for the rest of the week. I was also so pissed about Griffin getting me Friday detention. God I wish I could talk to someone or that Anthony would just tex- *Ding*
I snatched my phone from the bedside table with no anticipation to be had. I bubbled with excitement when it was indeed a text from Ant:
"Meet me at the playground near your house in 20 minutes."
I had no idea what was happening and why he wanted to meet me there of all places but I shot straight out of bed anyways. I slipped on a red dress because the evening air tonight was warm-ish, but I put on a jean jacket just in case:

 I slipped on a red dress because the evening air tonight was warm-ish, but I put on a jean jacket just in case:

I took one of my little black purses from its hook and tossed in my phone, keys, earbuds and chapstick. It was so dark out that I didn't bother to put on makeup, I just curled my eye lashes and brushed through my lightly damp hair. Standing in my bedroom doorway about to sneak out to hang with a boy who'd ignored me for the past 24 hours and only texted me when it was convenient for him, I felt like a dumb gullible bitch. Also, that was probably the quickest I've gotten ready in years, proving how eager and desperate I was to see him, when he didn't seem nearly as invested. I had to get out of this romantic mindset. He's just my friend, we're just friends, that's all we are and should be.

I tiptoed down the stairs and locked the front door behind me once I was out. The playground we were meeting at was just down the block so I decided to take the quietest mode of transport and just walk while I listened to music. I came to the corner and crossed the street, there were no cars parked nearby so I knew Ant wasn't there yet. He was always on time, that's one thing I could count on him for, but I was 5 or so minutes early so I sat on a swing to wait. I put an earbud back in and continued playing my music. The air was beginning to get a bit chilly so I was thankful to have my denim jacket now. I was gently swinging back and forth, pumping with my legs, when I was startled by someone pushing me from behind, making me go a little higher. I briskly swung my head around and took out my headphones. It was Anthony of course, trying to scare me. I hopped off the swing and punched him lightly in the arm, scolding him for startling me.
"Missed me?" he asked with his arms out for a hug.
"Hard to miss someone who ignores you for days at a time." I rolled my eyes and took one step away from him.
"Hey look, I'm sorry about that. I've been really busy." he said sheepishly.
"Mhm, busy being balls deep in Mia." I snapped back, crossing my arms in front of my chest.
"I've actually had some shit going on at home, okay?" he admitted and I immediately felt bad for being so rude.
"O-oh, I'm sorry. D'you wanna talk about it?" I asked, trying to make up for my insensitive remark.
"Nah, not really."
"Okay, well I want you to talk to me if you need it alright?" I asked, uncrossing my arms and stepping forward again. He nodded slightly in response. "Will you at least tell me why are we here tonight Mr Reeves?" I questioned, stepping up the ladder of the climbing structure.
"Hmm, well I wanted to see you and I thought this would be the best place. The only place where it could be just you and me." he smiled, walking around the playground to the side with the slide.
"Oh is that right... So why'd you wanna see me in private? You tryna cheat on your girlfriend tonight or sum'?" I laughed at my own joke and sat down at the top of the slide with my legs dangling down. Ant didn't laugh though. He kept a relatively straight face, which surprised me.
"Uh, are our terms still the same? Nothing romantic at all? Or can you let this one thing slide?" he asked quietly with play on words.

He walked towards me to the left side of the slide and put his hand across my bare knees, pulling me towards him a little. He brushed my leg feeling my smooth skin. He looked up from what he was doing into my eyes which were a bit higher than his for once. With his other hand he delicately brushed my hair out of my face, tucking it behind my ear. I closed my eyes as he cupped my cheek. But he didn't move any further. "I-Ivy you didn't answer me, is it okay if I kiss you?"
"Ugh, I know I should say no but I just can't turn you down." I smiled, putting my forehead against his. I opened my eyes to see him smirking too. I grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him towards me, bringing my hands up to gently hold his face. He moved his hand to the back of my neck, with the other still on my knee. I ran my fingertips along his jaw line as he moved closer and our lips finally pressed together. It felt so good to kiss him again. As surprising as it sounds- the only other time I have ever kissed him was at that party during spin the bottle. But this time he kissed me because he really wanted to, it wasn't just out of peer pressure or for a stupid game. It was because he wanted me, we wanted this.

Word Count: 1345 words