chapter three: two heartbeats?

It's the day of the first sonagram. Valerie shifts nervously on the exam table, waiting for Dr. Francis. Finally the doctor enters and gives Valerie, Ed and Oswald a warm smile.

"Hello, sorry for the wait." She says sweetly.

"It's okay. Just want to know the baby's healthy."

"Okay. I'm just gonna get set up and then you'll get to see your baby."

Ed and Oswald have never been more nervous. Of course, neither of them knew which one of them actually fathered the baby inside the surrogate. The doctors had implanted 6 embryos to give a better chance of at least one implanting. 3 were fertilized with Ed's DNA, and 3 were fertilized with Oswald's.

"There it is." The doctor points out the small white blip on the screen.

"Wait. Have we discussed the possibility of multiple births?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm hearing two separate heartbeats."

"What? Like, twins?"

"Ed. Twins. We're getting two babies..."

"I know..."

Oswald has never seen Ed smile like that...

"I can't believe it, I have two babies inside me..."

"You'll be okay. I'm actually happier now than I was before."
Oswald hands Valerie her tea. Valerie had been staying at the mansion since they found out she was pregnant.

"I'm really happy for you guys. You get two babies, that's amazing. You know, twins actually run in my family!"

"I'm not surprised..."
Oswald can't help but smile. He's getting a family.

The babies room was already set up, save for the wall color, which was still a stark white. But the two cribs were ready. Ed said Oswald was getting things set up too early, but Oswald wanted everything ready long beforehand. He didn't want to procrastinate when it came to something like this.

Something like family.