3, Bald Eagle

The bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) is a bird of prey found in North America

The bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) is a bird of prey found in North America. A sea eagle, it has two known subspecies and forms a species pair with the white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla). Its range includes most of Canada and Alaska, all of the contiguous United States, and northern Mexico. It is found near large bodies of open water with an abundant food supply and old-growth trees for nesting.

Bald eagles are very popular. I mean, there aren't many birds I can think of that are so closely associated with the country they dwell in that if anyone hears their name they think, "Oh right, the America bird".  I wonder what makes bald eagles so American. Is it because they're bald? There are a lot of bald people in America. Have you ever seen a featherless bird? I feel bad for featherless birds, they look so cold and fragile.

Do bald eagles know how popular they are? Do they ever think, "Huh, these hairless apes sure are nice to us even though our conservation status is in the area of least concern." Are there any birds that can read? There are birds that can talk, and birds that are smart, but can any of them comprehend words on a page? Or is it just chicken scratch to them? What if all birds could suddenly read, would there be a revolution? Imagine the constitution having to be changed for birds- more perches on every building.

I've always felt bad for birds having to perch on trees. Just think about it, imagine you're trying to find a place to sit at a local park but the benches branch out into a whole slew of complicated patterns, with some parts of the bench being smaller than others and also parts that will break if you sit on them. Also the benches are ten feet above the ground and you need to land on them by jumping off of a helicopter. No wonder birds sit on buildings.

I've always wondered why people always see bald eagles as these regal, majestic creatures. I mean, sure, they do look very pretty, but they are kinda trashy when you think of it. I've watched a lot of videos of them scavenging trash and catching the scraps while people are cutting up fish. My mom got this one really funny looking picture of an eagle that was just about going to fly, with his wings pointing straight up. All that aside, though, they do look very cool when they catch fish. 

If you se this bird on your travels, give a salute. Not to anything in particular, just look really patriotic for some country.

P.S. are there any other neat national birds? I'm curious now.