11 | chocolate cake > vanilla cake

DEDICATED TO AUNA

not many authors on this app can say that they have readers who will literally leave paragraph-long compliments/reactions about their story. thank you so much for encouraging me to keep writing when I was trying to come back from my extremely long hiatus. it's not easy to keep on trekking when it feels like the world is planting seeds of doubt in you. I hope you are safe and well. talk soon, Xx

"YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH CHOCOLATE CAKE

"YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH CHOCOLATE CAKE."

Avisa's rather innocent comment received a full-on slap from our Korean mother who seemed to be on edge since we had arrived to the cafe. The wedding planner, Penelope, sat next to me but across from Haven, Avisa, and my mother,with her jaw dropped to the floor that I thought I would need to be paying for her dental fees after all of this.

"If that's not what you want," Penelope began saying as she hurriedly pushed another folder their way, "we have plenty more options to choose from. We have red velvet, cheesecake, vanilla..."

"We'll go with vanilla!" my mother interrupted with a wide smile plastered on her face.

"Chocolate tastes so much better," Avisa muttered under her breath.

"Chocolate will get Jin's dress dirty if she drops it, God forbid that she does. We all know how clumsy she can be."

My jaw dropped dramatically to this, my hand coming up to my chest in feigned shock. "You mean that I don't even get to choose the cake flavor for my," I coughed, "wedding?"

Avisa gestured towards me, glancing repeatedly from my mother and I, back and forth, until she was practically experiencing whiplash. 

"Nah. I don't care." I brushed off, leaning back in my chair with ease. This earned a chuckle from Haven.

"That settles it," my mother confirmed, circling the word vanilla under the cake heading on the worksheet Penelope had given us upon arrival.

When the door chimed to welcome incoming guests, my head automatically turned to see who it was. As soon as my eyes met East's, it was game over. Next to him stood my unalarmed, smiling father and Avisa's soon-to-be ex-husband, Leo. They wouldn't be smiling after today's events.

"Finally, you're here!" my mother exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air. "We need to get going to the first wedding venue before traffic hits."

Penelope looked at her watch and nodded fiercely. "I'll send you the address when I get to my car." She picked up her items with a nature that quickened its pace every second that ticked and practically ran out out the door to the side street where her car was parked.