chapter one

"Mayday, Mayday! I'm in Submarine Alpha 29076 and running out of oxygen! Does anyone read me? Mayday, mayday!" I yelled into my comm. I, Lieutenant Shelby McIntyre, was stuck in a submarine in the middle of the ocean. To make matters worse, my crew was unconscious and our oxygen levels were waning fast.

"Mayday, mayday," I started again, before I heard a crackle in my intercom.

"Alpha 29076, this is Seaquest. We read you loud and clear." A voice said. I thanked the Lord before I responded.

"Seaquest, I'm Lieutenant McIntyre of the UEO nautical exploration branch. The oxygen levels of my submarine are declining rapidly and I'm the only member of my crew still alive. My coordinates are 32.84 degrees latitude and -58.0078 degrees longitude. Please hurry, I only have an estimated two hours left."

"Copy that, Lieutenant. We're on our way." With that, the Seaquest was quiet again. All that a girl like me could do while stuck in the middle of the ocean and slowly dying was wait.

•••

I woke up to bright, artificial lights overhead. I hadn't even realized that I had fallen asleep. I looked around, but didn't recognize anything or anyone in the room. It seemed like some sort of hospital, and apparently I had been asleep in one of the uncomfortable hospital beds. Bewildered, I sat up and got out of the bed. The doctor glanced over at me before turning to her comm system.

"Captain, you're needed at MedBay. Our survivor just woke up."

"Roger that, Doctor." a voice replied, one I could only assume belonged to the captain.

"Are you feeling alright, dear?" The doctor asked, walking over to me and lightly placing her hand against my forehead.

"I feel fine, ma'am," I assured her.

"Thank you, Doctor," a man said, entering the room. He was big and nearly bald, with a menacing demeanor but friendly face. Beside him was a tall, slim man and a boy who looked to be about my age. The boy had long, dark blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Ms. McIntyre, I'm Captain Hudson and this is Commander Ford and Ensign Wolenczak," the first guy said, gesturing at the guys beside him.

"Well, I'd introduce myself as Shelby, but it seems as if you already know who I am," I chuckled. The boy smiled, his eyes twinkling, and I looked at him for a moment before turning back to the Captain.

"Ms. McIntyre, if I'm correct you were the only survivor on your submarine, right?" Captain Hudson asked.

"Yessir," I replied, trying to keep up a brave facade but breaking on the inside.

My father and brother were part of the crew, as well as all my friends and the people I had known and loved for years. It was hard to think that they were all gone, and it was harder to think that I would have to go on, even though I was at rock bottom.

"Well, Ms. McIntyre, we're a while away from any land. I've accommodated some quarters for you to stay in for the time being. Ensign, go lead Mrs. McIntyre to her quarters, would you?"

"Yessir," Ensign Wolenczak replied. He looked at me sweetly before walking to the door, and I hopped off the bed to follow him.

"I'm sorry for your losses," he finally said. We had been walking in an uncomfortable silence for too long.

"It's fine," I choked out. I didn't need to let down my guard, and I most certainly didn't need anymore friends. I couldn't bear to lose anyone else.

"Well, if you ever need anything, I'm here for you, okay?" He offered. He seemed sweet.

"Thank you, Ensign," I forced a smile.

"You, uh, you can call me Lucas," he said. "Lucas Wolenczak."

"Well, Lucas, I'm Shelby." I looked at him and he smiled, so I smiled back. This time was surprisingly easier.

"Well, here are your quarters," he said, opening a door and ushering me in.

"Thank you for bringing me here, Lucas."

"Anytime. And, uh, dinner is in an hour, so if you don't have any friends by then you can always come sit with me." I flinched when he said the word friends. This would be difficult.

"I'll look forward to that," I told him. He beamed before walking away. I sighed, hating that I was leading him on. But I reached into my pocket and felt around, my hand eventually wrapping around the cold exterior of my pocket knife. I smiled, knowing that I'd soon be home.