Stage 4 Day 5

I woke up in the middle of the night, I looked at the clock on my nightstand. 12:01, the next day. I couldn't sleep, I was on edge because outside I could hear the guards fighting with someone or something. It makes me glad I was accepted by the guards. Nora was right about attacks on strangers.

I got up from my bed, I went over to a dresser. There was a broken mirror shard on the dresser, I looked at my reflection. Violet eyes. I checked the color wheel,"Violet, stage 4. Compassionate and understanding."

I looked out the window and sure enough, the guards were fighting some bandits trying to loot the village. The guards were able to chase them off. I moved away from the window, I saw the potion Nora gave me on the other nightstand. What is it even for? I saw its green, neon glow in the bottle.

Maybe if I talked to the guards they'll let Nora in the village. I heard someone scream. It was Ryan in the other room. "Ah!" I walked quietly to his door, I opened a crack to see. He was panting while clutching his chest. Max walk upstairs and in his room, he laid his head on his lap. "It's okay Max, it was just another nightmare." Max winced as Ryan pet his head. I walked back to my room and looked slightly out the window.

The guards looked up towards Ryan's window and then went back to patrol. I'm guessing this isn't the first time this happened. It's a sad concept but I want to help somehow, I don't know why maybe because of the stage.

I walked back over to Ryan's door, I was leaning against the wall. "What happened?" I asked, Max was still with Ryan.

"It's nothing okay. It happens often."

"Since when?" He shrugged.

"I think since I've lost my sight. Ever since then..." He trailed off.

"You've lost trust in your surroundings?"

"On earth is one story, I knew more about that place than here. This world though, I have more fears of what may happen. I know almost nothing, and I know if I ask what does happen on this planet..."

"Go on."

"If I ask what happens on this planet, I could have even worse nightmares than what I already have. I hear the guards fight and that's already enough for me to get thrown on edge." He had his arms wrapped around his knees, he seemed to be on the brink of crying.

I would have never thought he was that sensitive. I walked over and sat next to him. Max laid down on a carpet by the bed.

"I understand why'd you be frightened, but you can't just cope with life in fear."

"I'm blind, I can't see anything and it scares me not knowing anything about this place. When I met Nora I still had my sight, but the night before I came to this village I turned blind. The only way I knew where the village was, was because I knew it was right in front of me. I was able to convince them to take me in because of my disability."

"One of the guards told me you built this house on your own. If you were blind when you came, how'd you gather the materials and built it by hand?" I ask him.

"The miners helped me gather the wood, and one of the guards gave me Max to help guide me as I build." So that's how he got Max.

"Then if you think your blindness gets in your way, why not use it to your advantage?"

"I don't even know how. I didn't grew up blind so using any ability they adapt to is virtually impossible. Also I refuse to use a cane and I'm reluctant to use Max as my guide dog."

"Well, you can at least sharpen your sense in hearing. That's something." I stood up and walked back to my room. I looked at my clock, 5:48 early morning.

I decided I would go around town for the day helping out. Maybe if I do work I can earn some supplies. So throughout the day I was helping the miners polish up some things, the farmers in tending the crops, and the librarians in straightening and dusting books. As payment I got materials, food, and research information books about the planet and its wild life.

I saw Ryan here and there throughout the town at times, my guess is doing similar things. The day soon became sun down and I climbed the hill that was in the village. The hill was only in one corner and it hold the church and the graveyard. I sat on the fence of the graveyard and watch the sun go down and hide behind the trees.

Things seem to be working out so far, lets just hope for the best in the future...