I Can't Do It

I hope you enjoy the chapter.  It's not necessarily a big action thriller this chapter but it gives you a deeper look into the feelings of one of your favorite characters :) Enjoy!

Quote of the Chapter:
“And that’s why dog is man’s best friend, because guys want buddies that are dumber than they are… so do women but they already have men.”
~Bill Engvall 

_______________________________________
Chapter 16: I Can’t Do It

Luke 

Luke stared in horror at the blood.  He’d seen blood before of course, but never in such a vast amount.  He was frozen in shock for a few seconds until he snapped himself out of it, realizing that the time he spent staring like an idiot at Bryn’s wound, the shorter her life expectancy would be.  Luke didn’t know if the wound was fatal but it certainly looked nasty and he didn’t want to chance it.  Gingerly, he stood up with her in his arms.  She was completely limp.  He ran to the ship, trying not to jostle her too much.  Hannah and Derek were waiting for him in the lounge area of the ship.

“Bryn!” Derek shouted worriedly.

“She needs help!” Luke exclaimed hurriedly.

“Thank you for that, Captain Obvious,” Derek snapped.  Luke tried not to let himself be irked but with Derek’s implied tone, it was obvious he blamed Luke for Bryn’s injury. “Let’s get her up to the bridge and we’ll take care of her there.”

They took the elevator up and walked swiftly to the bridge where Luke laid Bryn on the couch.  Derek took off his backpack and pulled out some nectar along with bandages and tape.  He set to work, lifting her shirt to expose only her torso.  Luke looked away, one, in respect of Bryn’s privacy, and two, he felt strangely guilty looking at that part of her without her permission.

“What happened?” Derek inquired, sounding calmer.

“Is she going to be okay?” Luke asked.

“She’ll be fine.  It’s a nasty wound but the nectar is healing it up nicely.  She’ll be sore but there won’t be any scar or anything.  Now what happened?”

“We were thrown off the motorcycle when a hydra blocked us with its tail.  We flew off but I don’t think that’s where the gash came from.  Earlier, after I threw a pillow pet at a hydra and the hydra’s acid hit it, the thing exploded into some disgusting goo and it missed me but I think it might’ve gotten Bryn.  I thought it had missed her.  Guess I was wrong,” Luke mumbled, feeling miserable.  First his sister was missing, now the best fighter on their team was injured.  Could his quest be any worse?  He decided it could because he didn’t want to jinx himself.

“That makes sense.  She had burns, and well, that’s part of getting hit by hydra acid.  She needs to rest and she should be fine by the time we get to Milos.  If not, one of us is going to be carrying her,” Derek said.

“I don’t think she’ll be a fan of that,” Luke noted.

“Of course she won’t.  It’s Bryn.  She does things on her terms.”

“I’m surprised she’s listened to you on the quest, Luke,” Hannah said with a chuckle.

“How on earth do you get her to do it?” Derek sounded genuinely curious.

“I don’t know.  Maybe it’s because I’m related to one of the Big Three and we can relate in that sense?” Luke suggested.  Derek studied him carefully but didn’t reply.  Instead, he changed the subject completely and told Luke to go set the coordinates for Milos.  He did as he was told but since the boat automatically went on autopilot, he went back down and sat with Bryn.