FOUR

EVERITT

His head was a mess as Everitt paced the span of the waiting area in front of the elevators. He almost ran into it when the doors finally opened, reminding himself to calm down as he pressed the button for the underground parking level he'd left his car on.

The mystery that appeared to be Danai Martel was making his blood boil. And in more ways than one. When he had decided to go back to her office, he intended to apologise. He had a fully formed plan to apologise. He would wait by her door, as he had been doing, until she came back. Then he would say sorry, and suggest they get some more work done. It was only after he'd arrived that reception informed him that there was a good chance Danai was gone for the day. Still, Everitt resolved to wait no more than ten minutes. And right as he had decided it was time to go, he saw her stepping out of the elevator.

In no way, shape, or form did his plans involve making out, and almost having sex, with her. Well, as far as his alpha was concerned, mating with her.

Just the thought of mating with Danai riled Everitt up. He shoved his fingers through his hair, promptly disheveling the carefully organised strands as he exited the elevator. He could feel his pants getting tight, and his body becoming hotter.

Everitt's thoughts betrayed him as his head filled with Danai's face as he had his way with her. The fullness of her lips, her soft skin, and the sounds she made when he touched her frustrated Everitt. If that damned cleaner hadn't interrupted them, he definitely would have shown Danai what an alpha like him could do.

'And then what?' he asked himself, somehow managing to locate his car despite his mind being a mess. Everitt unlocked it, and nearly hit his head against the side of his car when he got in.

The rational, calculating Everitt seemed to fade away when he was alone with Danai. Her scent must have been making him crazy, and he wasn't sure he'd be able to keep himself from sinking his teeth into her mating gland if he had the chance.

"Damn it!" His fists slammed against the steering wheel, promptly blaring the car's horn.

Everitt huffed, "I need a drink."

******

The loud music at the bar Everitt dipped into did not help him calm down. The place he frequented, Maloy's, was further than he felt like driving from his house. With this bar, he could easily find his way back home without getting into his car. It was across from his apartment, and looked well-kept. The bartop was polished walnut wood, which went well with the glasses that hung behind the bar. There was a vast selection of liquors and wines, most of which Everitt had tried at some point in his younger years.

Still, he wondered why he didn't just buy a bottle and head home to drink alone. He'd considered it, but the whole idea sounded like a recipe for alcoholism, and he wasn't interested. Still, sitting at that bar, he thought the time alone might be work.

"Here's your scotch and soda," the woman behind the bar gave him a smile as she handed Everitt his drink.

"Thanks," he gave her a nod before he quickly downed the drink.

The bartender watched him the whole time, eyebrows raised. She had her arms crossed over her chest and a smile on her face when Everitt wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

He narrowed his eyes when he noticed her looking, "what?"

She shrugged, "I'm just wondering who has you all tensed up."

Everitt stared at his empty glass, his mind still full of the woman he was actively trying to forget about. He looked around the place and immediately wished he hadn't. The bar was full of couples, all apparently satisfied with their partners as they kissed, hugged, talked, and laughed. He could count on his hand how many single people were there.