ch.1

"Is everyone ready for the trip to lake house this weekend?" dad said excitedly.

He always plans these stupid trips ever since his last heart attack. The doctors said we was lucky someone was there or else he would've never made it. I don't see how we were the lucky ones, we had to go home with him.

"Right pumpkin." dad said as he ruffled the top of my hair, smiling down at me.

He wasn't my real dad. I was adopted at age 5 from a foster home in Washington. He and Beth were having trouble getting pregnant so they opted for the next best thing. From the day I came home, he would always tell me how no one would love me like he would. He'd come into my bed every night and tell me I was "daddy's princess" and he'd stroke my hair. He tried his best to not leave bruises but when he did, he'd just tell Beth I had falled playing on my bike. I wasn't sure she believed him but she never questioned him either.

"Are we gonna take the boat on the lake again daddy?!"

That was Sadie's favorite part about the whole trip. She liked sitting in his lap and helping him steer ever since she was little. Shes six now and has her own mini pilot seat.in the boat with dad.

"We're gonna do all those fun things when we get up there. Now hury and finish your breakfast before you miss the bus." He kissed Beth on the cheek and gathered his cost and briefcase.

"Oh, and Sarah would you mind picking up Bobby after school please?"

"Yea, sure."

"Thanks pumpkin." And just like that he was gone.

——~~——

"Sarah"

"Sarah!"

"Huh, sorry." I rubbed my eyes from underneath my glasses.

"You zoned out on me again."

Ashley was my best friend since kindergarten. We met when I had pushed her off the swing and she hurt her knee on the wood chips. I think the reason we became such good friends was because I pulled the splinters out of her cuts and that she hadn't told on me.

"Are you going to the party at Jason's house?"

"Can't, I have to pack for a trip this weekend."

"Come on," She groaned, "its the beginning of summer break, you guys could go another weekend."

"I'm sorry I just can't. I'm not even allowed to go to parties, you know how Derek gets."

"Yea whats his deal anyway, its like your his little untouchable princess or something."

"Or something."

It was a half day so classes went by pretty quickly. Not a single drop of information retained though.

——~~——

"Bobby slow down!" I called for him as he and his friend danced between the sidewalk and street.

I got a call earlier from Mrs. Miller asking if I could drop off Zack on my way home. Zack and Bobby had quickly became friends when they found out hey had the same birthday. The boys had become inseparable and shared their last 10th birthday together. I tread slowly behind the boys texting Ashley still trying to convince me to go.

'I'll ask but if I get in trouble its on you.' I replied and put my phone back in my pocket.

We said goodbye to Zack and Mrs. Miller and made our way home.

——~~——

Bobby threw his backpack to the floor and rushed upstairs to start packing.

"Hey dad," I slowly walked up to his desk, "Jason is having this party after school and I was wondering if I could go?" I already knew what he was gonna say. He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes.

"You know I don't like you going to parties Sarah."

"I know but it's the first one of the summer and I was kinda hoping I-"

"No." He cut me off, his words became stern. "I don't trust those high school boys. Always drinking and touching on girls."

"I won't be drinking though, I promise-"

"I said no!." he slammed his hand on the desk. I jumped back startled by his gesture. I stopped there not persisting further. As I was going to leave his office he stood up.

"You know you're still daddy's princess right?" putting his glasses back on.

I softly nodded and left.