1.

Rachel arrived at her new university ready for a fresh start. Feeling the warm Californian sun on her skin and breathing in the new air, she could not contain her smile at the excitement of starting at a new collage. She has high dreams of becoming a clinical psychologist. Although she could have achieved her dreams back home in Australia, she decided that she would also like a small adventure to start her new life before commencing the 7 years of study.

Walking into the student services building, she was greeted with a warm smile of a girl around her age. She had curly golden hair which just reached her shoulders, slim tall figure but welcoming posture.

"Hi, welcome to UCLA! Or welcome back if you've been here before" she giggled.

"Thank you, I'm so excited to start" Rachel responded as well as returning the warm smile.

"I'm Amy, how can I help you?"

Amy. The name matched her personality, Kind yet bubbly.

"My name's Rachel Thompson. I'm an international student" Rachel informed Amy.

"Ah yes, looking for your dorm and schedule I presume?" Amy started to get a number of documents compiled as well as a key.

"Come this way, I'll show you to your room" Amy flashed another warm smile, gesturing Rachel to follow her out of the building.

The way to what Rachel presumed was her room, the girls kept constant small talk. General information of where Rachel came from as well as Amy talking about all the programs that UCLA offered such as sports, music, drama and many more.

Arriving at another large building Amy stopped at the front door.

"Here is your pass to the building. You will need to swipe it here to open the door" Amy gestured at the security system attached to the door.

Following Amy further into the building we arrived at the elevator,
"Your on floor 3" Amy pressed the button.

Hearing the ding, the doors opened. Walking out of the elevator, Amy looked down at the sheets of paper she was holding.
"Ah yes, your in room 367, so its half way down the corridor"

Standing outside what is to be Rachel's new home for the next few years, she couldn't help but feel another rush of excitement. She radiated a big smile, Amy saw the smile and chuckled,
"Yep, this can be pretty exciting. Welcome home" she said as she turned the key, opening the door.

Rachel walked into the middle of the room, taking it all in. It was bear, which allowed Rachel to decorate how she wanted. A bed was pushed up against the wall and the kitchen was small. Although the whole dorm was small it was big enough for Rachel. She walked into the bathroom which contained a decent size shower, toilet and sink. Rachel was in love already and could see the potential that this apartment had.

"So, I will need to get you to sign these documents" Amy spoke, breaking Rachel from her trance.

"Yea sure" she replied. Walking over to Amy and looking at the documents placed on her counter. 'Lease agreement' was spralled across the top of the page in bold red, followed by general information and rules.

1. No parties
2. No alcohol
3. No prohibited substances (drugs, weapons, ect.)
4. No opposite genders to spend the night.

The rules continued on. Rachel had no problems with the lease agreement, all rules were understandable so she signed at the bottom of the page, handing the documents back to Amy.

"I'll leave you be now, here's your schedule, map, and list of cafes and shops around the area" she smiled, sliding the other documents over to her, with the key and building pass on top.

"Oh, and here's my number, maybe we can hang out some time" she smiled, writing her number on a small peace of paper and leaving it.

"Yeah for sure, would be good to make at least one friend in the first week" Rachel laughed, taking the pics of paper and pulling out her phone.

"Great! I'll see you around" Amy smiled as she left the dorm.

"Thank you, see you soon I guess" Rachel returned the smile as she closed the door behind Amy.

Turning her attention back to the dorm, Rachel began to unpack the bass she had brought with her, as well as creating a list of things she would need to collect from the store to complete her apartment and basic needs.

______________________________________

Chapter one complete