chapter four: texts, polaroids and expensive doors

Tiffany’s point of view

Ethan was actually reading the textbook. The fact that he even reading was mind blowing enough, but he also did so without any complaints or snide remarks for the past half hour. I look over to his ringing phone, the sound of his ring tone blaring into the air indicating someone was calling him for the hundredth time. I look over to check the caller ID. I snort as I read the multitude of texts he received from Aspen.

“Your clingy girlfriend is calling again.” He looks up from his reading and snatches his phone away from my hands. He quickly reads over the texts and before he could answer his phone rings again. He sighs and moves to the other side of the table to answer.

“Hello?”  I can hear her screeching all the way from where I sat almost as if it was on speaker.

“No Aspen you don’t need to worry we weren’t doing anything inappropriate” He reassured her.

“Aspen she didn’t try to make a move on me.”

“No Aspen she’s probably not even going to let you in her house” This statement brought on another flurry of nagging.   

“Aspen you don’t even know where she lives.” That went on for about fifteen more minutes until Aspen finally decided she was going to pick Ethan up after we finished working for the night. Ethan walks back and plunks himself back into his original chair. He rubs his temples and sighs in frustration.  

“Sorry about her.”  

I look over to him obviously amused by this. Was Ethan actually apologizing to me?

“Don’t worry about it. We should take a break we were working for about,” I look at my watch to check the time,”an hour, so you can do whatever until seven thirty I guess.

He nods in confirmation and whips his phone out obviously texting Aspen. I take my own phone out scrolling through my extensive contacts list trying to find a guy that’s free to hook up later on. My thoughts are interrupted from the sound of my stomach growling. Without any thought, i went into my kitchen to ask the head chef for a quick snack. I’m craving for homemade Rice Krispies Treats. When the treats were ready, I went back to the dining table to realize that Ethan isn’t sitting on the chair, texting his annoying girlfriend.

Where did he go? Did he leave? We still had a ton of work to do. Before I start overreacting I look for him, I start with the room he’s most familiar with, my bedroom. I take one last bite of the Rice Krispies and begin to look for him before our break was over. When I first entered what caught my attention was that Ethan was in my room looking at the corkboard with a collage of polaroids that I made year ago and forgot about.

‘’Why are you in here?‘’ I asked suspiciously.

‘’ I was looking for the bathroom.’’ Ethan answered casually.

‘’So you somehow think there is a bathroom here?’’

He rolls his eyes. “I know your bedroom inside out.”

‘’Touche.’’ i said while he turns his attention back to the corkboard and gives it another onceover.

‘’I’m surprised that you still have the pictures of us when we were together.” He unpins the polaroid and examines it even closer. I could spot a faint smile playing on his lips.

“Remember that one kid that spilled his smoothie all over your shirt and you went all bat shit crazy and you made him cry?” I stifle my laughter from the memory from last summer.

“Remember you gave me your shirt to wear because you felt bad for me?” I ask.

“Which one are you looking at?” He silently hands me the polaroid and unpins another from the board. I stare at the picture and a wave of nostalgia flows through me. I look at Ethan and our friends all smiling happily with no other care in the world. Our close knit group drifted due to the tension our breakup caused. The picture was from when we went on a vacation to a beach in Miami. I snort at my appearance, Ethan’s shirt was way too big for me.

“You actually weren’t that big of a slut back then.” He chuckled while dipping his head down. I snort. Of course, he was being too nice.

“Yeah because I was a virgin, but that didn’t stop anyone from thinking I slept with anything and anyone that moves and has a dick.” I retort back.

“Can you really blame them? You weren’t the exactly most conservative dresser in school.” he said while shifting his head towards my direction. He actually has the audacity to continue talking.

“You changed so much since then. What happened to the Tiffany that dressed like a slut but had a heart of gold?”  

‘’People change. You dumped me for Aspen when I needed someone the most. The spent endless nights talking about my family problems to you was a total waste. Besides, Aspen painted me out to me a total slut so why not become one?’’

Ethan stares at me sympathetically at the mention of my family.

“Tiffany I’m sorry, I got caught up with my new feelings for Aspen I forgot about your da-”

“Don’t act like you’re so innocent. You changed way more than I ever did. What happened to the nice Ethan who treated everyone, no matter how rude they were, like gold? The one who lent me his goddamn shirt when mine was ruined.” I throw the polaroid at him.   

There was a moment of silence till i heard Aspen’s car honking about ten million times.

‘’Your girlfriend’s here, you should probably get going.” I say without making eye contact.

I exit the room with Ethan following close behind. He grabs his bag from the chair and packs his stuff in. He looks at me as if there’s something he wants to say but before he could even open his mouth a strange pounding noise interrupts him. I immediately assume it’s Aspen.

“Aspen that’s a ten thousand dollar door ! I would stop pounding on it if I were you.”

“Tiffany let me come in I need to talk to Ethan.” she demanded.

“Whatever talking you guys need to do can be done in the car, just get out of my property.” I reply snarkily.

1 out of 27 days to go before the project is over.