CHAPTER 47: CHANGE OF SCENERY

Okay, Marley's decided: he needs to get out of this motel.

Staring at these stained walls for the last week have really taken a toll on him and he feels that it would be beneficial to his health (in more ways than one) to get the hell out. After his...quality time with Nero, he went back to researching the very next day. Then the day after that, and the day after that.

Not much progress. It's like his mind doesn't want to cooperate with the goal.

So, Marley's come to the conclusion. He needs to get out of this stupid room. A change of scenery should help him clear his head. He packs his laptop into its carrying case and puts the few files of paper into a side pocket. Then, he throws the strap over his shoulder. He puts on his sunglasses and face mask, as well as his hat, and finally looks up.

Nero's staring right back at him, seated at their miniature dining table while Drey eats dinner. "Where you going?"

"A café," Marley replies.

Nero frowns, seeming to not like the idea of Marley running out on his own. Well, too bad! There is a café a few blocks from here and Marley genuinely thinks going there, sitting down, drinking some coffee, and looking through all these files, will help him pass some kind of milestone. Call it a hunch.

"Why?"

"I need to focus and you're distracting." Marley replies. That's one way to put it. Nero raises a brow but Marley doesn't pay much mind to it. "I'll be back in two hours. Chill."

"Last time you went somewhere without me, you got kidnapped."

"I'm not gonna get kidnapped!" Marley sighs in exasperation. This guy.

Nero examines him up and down, seeming not to agree with this at all. Marley just rolls his eyes and slips on his shoes. He'd invite someone to come with him, but he really feels that he needs to be alone to do this.

"Two hours. 1:56. If you're not back by then I'm looking for you."

"Whatever, Mom," Marley replies, walking towards the door. Before he exits, though, he turns over his shoulder;

"Bye."

Nero stares at him inquisitively. "Be careful."

Ugh.

"I will," Marley reassures, before exiting the room.

Nero really needs to relax. Honestly, Marley gets kidnapped one time and the guy never lets him live it down.

The walk to the coffee place is uneventful, though it gives Marley enough time to recognize the fact that this does not appear to be a very good part of town. The buildings are run down and there are several gatherings of people that look to be up to no good.

He doesn't let it bother him, though. Instead, he just breathes in the fresh air and basks in his temporary alone time.

The café isn't very busy, thankfully, and Marley is able to order something and find a table with ease. The faint hustle of the business serves as a calming background noise as he pulls out his laptop and begins to set everything up on the table.

Okay, so maybe going through top secret government information in public isn't the best idea. However, he genuinely believes he's on the edge of a breakthrough. Whatever that means.

Also, he got a corner table. The closest person is twenty feet away. It's fine.

Marley pulls the files out of the pocket as his lap top boots up. What he needs to do is rewrite history into a document—correctly—and release it to the public. Then his father will be dethroned and all will be good.