Chapter 7

The next day, Hop finds her early on to tell her that he already has the beginnings of a plan of attack.

"It's pretty urgent, right? So, we need to make sure that we get you that kiss before your deadline," he says. "With all that in mind, I've been working on a plan for you, but there's no need to thank me or anything."

I still want to thank you , she writes, hardly able to believe that he has put so much thought into this, just for her. She has only known him for a week, but not only did he believe her ridiculous story straight away, but has also decided to involve himself personally, just to make sure that she is able to get her voice back and stay.

"Aw, like I said, you don't have to thank me," he says, waving a hand. "Just don't ask me about it yet, cos I'm still working on some things. But, anyway, we do seriously need to get cracking. You only have three weeks to get him to fall for you, and I promise that we're going to make it happen!"

I'll do my best! It feels weird responding so enthusiastically to Hop talking about her getting a kiss from his older brother, but she can't help her enthusiasm, especially not when he is so enthusiastic himself.

"In the meantime, I was wondering if you could do me a favor? Well, it's not a favor for me, necessarily, but more for one of my friends," he says. "And I definitely understand if you don't want to, so feel free to say no, but she's really trustworthy, and would definitely be a professional about it."

Wait, who are you talking about? What do you want me to do? If it's just for Hop, she definitely doesn't mind doing any number of favors in return for him helping her and keeping her secret, but she has no idea who this woman he is talking about is.

"Her name is Sonia, she does research, and she's kind of really interested in magic and other stuff that most people don't believe exists," Hop says. "Lee was bugging her about mermaids recently, you know, because of you, and she is genuinely interested in that. Obviously, you don't have to talk to her, but I think it would help her research a lot, and if you explain your circumstances, she would definitely keep things under wraps until you were able to talk about it."

What he says is a lot to take in. Gloria had never considered telling anyone the truth about her, but Hop had earned her trust so easily, and she found herself wanting to share her greatest secret with her new friend. But telling someone that she's never met, and a researcher, at that, seems like an even bigger risk, especially if that researcher has been talking with Leon about mermaids. Hop insists that she would be professional, but what if she let something slip to Leon?

As if sensing her worry, Hop says, "I really don't think she would tell Lee anything about you, and he's way too busy to go bug her right now anyway. Plus, it's not just to help her research. I know I said it was a favor for me, but consider this a backup plan? I don't know, when you told me about the one who turned you human, it made me think of Sonia straightaway, and maybe she might be able to learn more about the other side, and keep you human?"

Even now, he is just trying to come up with more ways to help her. Gloria can't help but be touched by that, and she nods, deciding once again to take the risk of trusting someone else. If you think that she's trustworthy, than I'll trust her. I can tell her everything I know, and if she can help me, then that would be even better. But, either way, I definitely owe you at least this much.

Hop beams and says, "We're friends, aren't we? I just want to do whatever I can to help you out."

~X~

Later that day, when the two go out, he leads her to Sonia's research lab, where he says she spends countless hours looking to strange things that happen in the area, trying to see if any of it can be attributed to anything mystical or magical. For the most part, her research stay strictly scientific, but it's no secret that she is hoping to uncover something beyond that, things that her science just can't explain.

"She's not going to be able to believe that a mermaid washed up right in front of me!" Hop says, before they knock.

The door soon swings open, and Sonia says, "Oh, well look who it is! How have you been, Hop? Oh, and you brought a friend with you."

"I'm good," he says, "and this is Gloria. Lee's told you about her right."

"Yes, the mysterious girl who washed up on shore," Sonia says with a smile. "Come on in, make yourselves at home."

Once they are inside, Hop says, "Alright, so you might want to go ahead and sit down, because what I'm about to tell you might cause you to faint away in shock!"

Laughing and shaking her head, Sonia sits down and says, "What is it this time, Hop? You know your brother has already come to me with mermaid stories last week."

"But he didn't bring you a real mermaid, did he?" Hop asks, with a proud smirk.

Sonia shakes her head again and says, "That's no way to introduce your new friend. Just because you found her on the beach, and all."

"But it's true! Isn't it, Gloria? She came here to tell you all about how she used to be a mermaid!" He holds his arms out dramatically, and still Sonia seems unimpressed. Gloria quickly writes something down, holding her notepad up so that Sonia can read it.

It's all true .

Finally, perhaps because she's seen the serious expression on Gloria's face, Sonia's eyes go wide and she jumps up, pointing to Gloria and saying, "You're both for real, aren't you?"

"I told you, didn't I? Sheesh, Sonia, do you really think I'd tease you over something so serious?"

"Does Leon know about this?" she asks.

"No! And you can't tell Lee, alright?" Hop pleads. More than anything, Gloria is surprised by how easily Sonia believes them, but she supposes if what Hop has said about her is true, she has probably been waiting for a long time for something like this to happen. That must make it easier for her to believe.

"Why can't I tell him?"

"It has to be a secret! Gloria took a big risk by telling me, and an even bigger risk by telling you, so you can't tell anyone! I promised her you wouldn't," he says.

Sonia looks pained for a moment before saying, "Alright, but I don't know why you'd tease me all this. It will probably validate a lot of my research, and I'm supposed to just sit on it..."

"Only until the end of the month," he says, "but I should probably let Gloria explain that part."