07. BROKEN SEALS

BEAUTIFUL NIGHTMARE

CHAPTER SEVEN: BROKEN SEALS

THE bell rang- it being an obvious reminder that class was starting- Lydia leaned forward in her seat just slightly indicating that she showed some interest in the subject, Allison leaned her head into her hand seeming to still be tired, but then ...

THE bell rang- it being an obvious reminder that class was starting- Lydia leaned forward in her seat just slightly indicating that she showed some interest in the subject, Allison leaned her head into her hand seeming to still be tired, but then again, what high schooler wasn't?

The teacher was a male, probably in his late thirties or early forties, "so, I know we had a long summer, and I know more than half of you most likely forgot what you learned last year, so" he paused glancing to the board, "why don't we have some volunteers come up to the board?" River glanced around her eyes catching sight of Scott on the opposite side of Allison, how had she missed him?

She shook her head the first thing she saw when she turned to face the front again being teachers finger pointed straight at her, "how about you Ms...." he trailed off as if he was waiting for her to finish the sentence, "Matthews." she mumbled standing up to walk to the front of the classroom.

She took the chalk from his hand listening as he called up two other students to solve the other problems on the board, she looked over her own problem the word lingering above the equation stating what she was supposed to do with the problem.

Simplify.

The numbers- and letters- seemed to fit so perfectly, she could only wonder how people hated the subject when it was so simple.

She let her eyes run over the expression working her way through it without writing.

-2(x - 3) + 4(-2 x + 8)

When she knew she was close to the answer she began to scribble down what she already knew, retracing her steps through the equation she ran it through her head a final time before writing what she believed to be the answer.

She set the piece of chalk down stepping back to look over her work.

-2x + 8  =   -2 • (x - 4)

(0- (2 • (x - 3))) + -8 • (x - 4)

(0- (2 • (x - 3)) + -8 • (x - 4)

- 10x = -2 • (5x - 19)

-2 • (5x - 19)

She let her eyes quickly glance over all the numbers before she turned and made her way back to her seat, the teacher moved to look over her problem silently reading it to himself before he turned to look at her, "it seems someone studied up over the summer." he gestured to River who sat back in her chair trying her best not to gain any unwanted attention.

Lydia cocked her head in the girls direction slightly smiling as she did so, "so you're like, one of the smart kids, right?"

She shrugged her shoulders in response, she knew she wasn't the brightest in some areas, while in others she was a genius, to say she was smart would be a lie.