08. TORN NETS

BEAUTIFUL NIGHTMARE

CHAPTER EIGHT: TORN NETS

STILES slammed his hand against the steering wheel, he was far more frustrated than he should've been, he sent Scott a glance, "we still have lacrosse tryouts after school

STILES slammed his hand against the steering wheel, he was far more frustrated than he should've been, he sent Scott a glance, "we still have lacrosse tryouts after school." his friend's eyes widened with realization, in the rush to get River out of the school without anyone thinking the bathroom had been their fault, they'd failed to realize they had to return to the school later.

"Wait- lacrosse tryouts are today?" both of the boys furrowed their eyebrows casting her a look of disregard, of course, today of all days had to be tryouts, and right after one of her outbursts.

"Yeah, why?" Scott replied glancing into the backseat, "because I play." Stiles stomped on the brake ignoring that if he was stopped he needed to put the car in park, he turned in his seat, a hand resting on the wheel as he spoke, "you. You play lacrosse." he pursed his lips before giving a slight shake of his head, "yeah, I don't think so." Scott gently smacked his shoulder, even he knew his friend was coming off as rude.

She frowned, while she was used to the reaction, it never got any easier. Why were so many people against a girl playing lacrosse on a boys team- the only team the school had to offer?

"Do you have gear?" he asked ignoring the looks the honey eyed boy sent him, she nodded her head, "I just need a new net for my stick." Scott absently nodded his head as he thought about it, "Stiles, drive to her house." he shook his head waiting for the boy to give him a good reason, he let out a sigh and turned to face his stubborn friend, "we're going to go get her stick and gear, then I'm gonna help her fix the net." Stiles rolled his eyes before slowly easing onto the gas pedal.

"Once we get your stuff ready we'll head back to the school and get ready for tryouts, you have to talk to coach though." she nodded her head taking in everything she'd heard, she was nervous and annoyed.

Nervous over tryouts and annoyed over Stiles, it was as if the boy didn't know common decency.

They drove on in silence for the remainder of the trip as neither Stiles nor River had the dying urge to converse, Scott seemed to be stuck in the middle of whatever was going on between them, and he couldn't even figure out what was going on.

A few more minutes passed before they pulled into the driveway belonging to what River was supposed to call her home, to her, it was just another place to hide, a place to be forgotten, a place that didn't belong to her.

It wasn't her home.

Without waiting for either of the boys to speak, she prodded at Scotts shoulder waiting for him to let her out, he opened the door and moved out of her way quickly pulling the seat forward so she could exit the jeep. Climbing past the bulky seat she slipped out and made her way up the drive to the front door. Scanning the porch, she realized two things, one, Gen never collected the newspapers, and two, hiding the house key in the pot of a fake plant was in no way smart.