Chapter Twenty-Four

Everyone fell into line, Julian's warriors kept their heads bowed as Aerly began to descend the platform Raiden already at her side with a hand extended the guide her down. The fierce silver eyes staring down everyone around her "Where does he keep them?" she shouted her threatening tone making the lower ranks cower. Though the strength in her eyes and voice held strong Raiden held a tight grip on her hand to keep Aerly upright and guide her through the crowd of wolves "WHERE DOES HE KEEP THEM?" she shouted once again waiting for a response from one of the members of Julian's pack. Blood was beginning to dry on her flesh under the warm sun but even as she spoke the blood from her mouth was more relentless as it dribbled down her chin as she spoke.

"Under the Alph-- The old Alpha's house Alpha" one of Julian's pack members muttered out.

"Someone better show me where it is" she growled out "NOW!"

:::

Behind two locked doors, a spiral staircase into the depths underneath the house, down a long hall where a large gate stood keeping the next part locked up "does someone have the key?" Aerly asked not pulling her eyes from the lock.

"Julian has the keys..." one of the warriors spoke up as the group crowded in the hallway but Aerly doesn't respond reaching out for the lock instead "Alpha, don't it's silver" the warrior spoke again but it was too late her fingertips grazed the lock letting out a hiss and quickly retracting her hands.

"Are you okay?" Raiden questioned his hand quick to take hers and examine it.

"I'm fine" she assured the large man who stood beside her "is Julian the only one with the keys?" Aerly suddenly directed to the warrior behind them.

"Yes, Alpha" he nodded in confirmation.

"I've got it" Raiden suddenly steps forward.

"No, Raiden" Aerly halted the man by his forearm.

"What's another burn huh?" his tone was more playful a smirk now pulled on his lips. Aerly couldn't help but let her eyes trail over the now doubled up link marks burning his flesh the old ones faded but the fresh one's still gaping wounds.

"No" Aerly shook her head before turning to the group that had come with them "start searching for the keys! Go back search his body, search this place till it's upside down!" Aerly ordered to which they all bowed and nodded their heads before retreating to do their tasks.

"I could have just done it you know?" Raiden questioned as soon as everyone else had left the pair alone.

"No... You've been hurt enough" Aerly spoke but struggled to turn her gaze to meet his knowing that smirk had returned to his face.

"Is that concern I hear from you, darling?" and she was proven correct when the finally turned to him struggling to hold an unphased look while he couldn't seem to be more pleased with himself.

"Don't flatter yourself" Aerly scoffed "are we going to chat all day or are we going to find those keys. Aerly dismissed quickly marching passed him.

"Oh this isn't over" he couldn't help himself but tease her as he followed close behind back to the house.

:::

It hadn't taken long with so many wolves searching the grounds before finally being found in a hidden room of his office. They wasted no time after rushing back down to the darkness of the underground the only lights were a few dim lamps hanging on the wall but it was enough to get them in though that relief was quickly squashed once they opened the gate then the thick metal door leading into a room practically engulfed in darkness. The smell of rich iron from the blood mixed with bodily fluids was one of the most unwelcoming stenches any of them had been faced with. It was sickening as they heard the cries and screams for help "get some lights down here now!" Aerly ordered the lamps being pulled from the walls and used to guide their path but Aerly wanted to cry once the light was brought in as if the smell wasn't enough the sight was from a horror movie as the people sat in cages stacked up like animals at the pound. Hunched over or curled up there was no room to stand or barely move at all "start opening these cages" Aerly almost whispered.

"I think they need codes to be open" one of the warriors spoke looking at one of the doors under the lamplight.

"Then rip the doors off! I don't care. Get these wolves out of here!" as soon as she ordered it was done. Everyone that was down there was ripping open doors and escorting out whichever were found alive while others had the unfortunate case dragging out the already dead "have you seen my grandmother?" She whispered to Raiden as she passed by him to open yet another cage door he simply hung his head before glancing to an opened door a few spots away from where he stood.

"I'm sorry Aerly..." was all he could say to the girl who put on a stoic front.

"I see... Well, when we return with the bodies they will receive proper burials and... My grandparents will have an honourable funeral fit for an Alpha" Aerly's voice held its authoritative tone but her eyes on the other matter softened terribly almost on the verge of tears until she turned her focus back on the task. She reached out for the cage in front of her when she was met with Niko standing at her side. "What are you doing?" she questioned the Beta.

"Just open the door" he snapped she dismissed his tone and pried open the door to find a small girl curled in the corner her eyes darting around in fear. She was so filthy it was hard to tell the shade of her hair.

"You're safe now miss?" Aerly said kneeling down in front of the small metal prison but the girl remained still visibly shaking in hear "I promise we are here to save you. Come out please" Aerly encouraged stepping back from the door as the girl began to crawl across the floor she only made it to the entrance when she froze on the spot her eyes staring straight at Niko "is everything okay?" Aerly extended a hand to help the girl to her feet when Niko suddenly growled:" what the hell is wrong with you-- Oh goddess..." Aerly's eyes widened when she saw the look on Niko's face "shes your mate..."