Chapter Ten

When I heard that Jake was in the hospital after attempting suicide, I was hysterical. Josie had to hold me while I screamed and kicked.

"RELEASE ME THIS INSTANT-"

Josie sighed. "Girl, chill."

Chill. Chill. The bitch was standing there, telling me to chill. As if I could ever chill while Jake was in a hospital.

"Jake's fine, Caroline. He needs to mend. Give him a minute."

"I need to talk to somebody."

"Then go find somebody to talk to." Josie smirked. "Go talk to a love doctor."

The only reason I didn't strangle her is that I got a better idea.

"Do you like lemonade?"

No, lovies. That wasn't Josie, asking me if I liked lemonade. That was Katherin Collins... as in Jake's grandmother. Being so fucking stupid, I'd gone to the Collins mansion.

"I'm not thirsty."

"When you're old like me, you'll always be thirsty. Age does this. One day you're young and living your life, and the next you're crippled and-"

"Ma'am... I don't mean to-"

"Call me Katherin. 'Ma'am' makes me feel old."

"Is Jake alright?" I blurted out.

Katherin looked at me carefully. She was a very good looking old woman. Her hair, skin and voice were perfectly aging.

"That's why you came?"

I nodded. "I... need advice. On Jake."

"Love?"

How did she know so quickly?

"I see. You're the reason Jake tried to commit."

I couldn't help it. I was crying.

"I didn't mean. I love him. I never. I just."

She placed her hand on my shoulder. "Maybe you should think about what your head thinks is best and what your heart thinks is more beautiful."

That made so much sense. She left with her lemonade and left me all alone on her front porch to think. This was where Jake and I had spoken about Mia. Just thinking of what happened that night made butterflies erupt from body parts I didn't even know existed.

Jake and I were different. I was shit compared to him.

But if he could love shit like me... why couldn't I love a god like him?