04

Today I experienced something I had never thought would happen in my wildest dreams.
I saw my dad glued to the kitchen as if it was his mission to feed the entire city.
Watching how he occasionally removed the prominent sweat on his forehead, I couldn't decide whether I should offer him my help or not. This was one hell of a sight.
Last time I did, we ended up fighting about stupid things like how steaks were supposed to be cooked.

He wanted to put the steaks in the oven. I called it blasphemy. You don't put your steaks in the oven by any cost. No. No and no.

Standing in the doorframe, dressed in a decent slinky wrap dress and a pair of velvet-heeled sandals I tilted my head to get a better look on his slicing techniques. He had not noticed my presence yet and that said something about his deep concentration within this matter.
As he was standing hunched over the kitchen table my mind couldn't help but to recall how my mom used to stand there by his side, watching his every move in fear of the outcome.
She was the one in charge of this household whether the Sergeant liked it or not.
My mother wasn't afraid of correcting the macho military husband of hers when something wasn't living up to her standards. If there was a woman or a person in general who could put him in his place it was my mom.

A vague sizzle from one of the pots on the stove caught my attention but before I could fully retrieve the sound, my dad's cry of anger drilled into my soul and that's when I knew that his calm persona from before was nothing but a facade. A burned finger was the trigger.

The big man in front of me was dismantled by a stove.

"Why didn't you ask for help?" I yelled out and quickly stepped forward as I began to save the several dishes the best way I could, running from table to table and from stove to oven.

"I didn't need help and I still don't." He emphasized but I didn't hear any of it.

"Cut it. We both know that this is too much for you. Sit down and relax. I got this." It was a hidden order and I hoped he got the point and did what was told but no, the stubborn man just had to continue defending himself by trying to push me away from the stove. Gently of course.

I took a deep breath trying to control myself as he kept trying to get a hold of the whisk in my hand. The man was desperate and I almost thought I'd lose until I felt him subside.

A moment later, he fell to his knees and a cry left his lips.

It didn't take me a second to drop everything in my hands before I mimicked his actions and bend down, taking him in my arms.

He sobbed and sobbed. Endless tears and I felt a single one leave the corner of my eye too.
I stroked his head repeatedly and kissed his forehead.

"It's okay. I love you." I whispered but I was not sure if he was able to hear me.

He truly was broken.

"Why did she have to leave me like this?!" He cried out incoherently. "My sweet, Eunha."

What would you do if one of your parents cracked like this in front of you? Let me guess you wouldn't have had any idea? Well, that was how I felt in that moment. Totally and utterly helpless.

We are so used to our parents being our shield and our protection. We are used to our parents being strong for us. To be human beings who know exactly how to act when we are the vulnerable ones in the need of love, care and encouragement.

It is never the opposite. So how do you react? It's harder than it seems because I didn't know what to do either. I could only comfort him as much as I was able to in the same way he had comforted me. He was my hero and now I was trying to be his.