Chapter 3: Reliving The Past 1

The sun had just come out of it's house about to start the day's duty when father called me. He was up very early as usual_I was up early too but decided to greet the sun from my room and not the living room. "Dilia," he called; his hoarse but yet authoritative voice called, bringing me out of my admiration of the sun. I rushed out quickly thinking he might be in need of my help. To my greatest surprise, he had shaved his beard and was in new clothes. He had worn the same clothes for as long as I knew him and always rejected new clothes.

"Where's Dolan?" Asked he. I looked at him totally surprised by the change he had observed and for the first time I realized how broad and tall he was. He was very manly; a bit shorter than Lord Dextrus by an inch or two. His shoulders had fallen due to inactivity and training. His light brown eyes were in alignment with his dark brown hair. He had never combed his hair before but now he had it neatly combed and up in a ponytail. His sharp jawline became copious with his beard off.
  Dolan rushed out of his room like someone who had forgotten something of great importance. His eyes were heavy which gave me a clue that he just woke up.

"Sit, the both of you." Said Papa placing both hands behind his back like Lord Dextrus and looking out the window. "There is something I must tell you!"
  I can't believe the words came right out of his mouth.

"I had just come from a meeting with the king when they told me the news. Then I was young and my anger was fresh. I couldn't listen to anyone_I didn't. Anger blocked my ears and eyes." He paused and took a deep sigh, lifting his shoulders as he did. "Yvonne, your mother and Claudia, my sister had gone to Barudus for viewing sake. Dextrus brought the two of you to me. You were young; barely a year old. All I could ask was who. They told me it was a Barudus soldier. I went to Barudus that day and killed every living thing I could find." He couldn't hold his emotions any longer, tears dropped from his eyes down to the wooden floor. He sobbed.

"I killed everyone and everything...but there was this baby, he was crying and his tears made my anger die. I left him there hoping the fire would kill him... I've lived all my life from then in regret. I have never for one day felt happy about my action. I see their faces everyday. I hear their wailing in my sleep. It was a fools act. I was a fool. I am haunted from within everyday because they were innocent_all of them." That wasn't totally a lie. Most times we would hear him scream in his sleep and most times he would cry involuntarily. I thought it was just insecurity. He continued, "I vowed then that I would never wield a sword again..." He finished still sobbing. Dolan was fully awake now and was staring up at papa whose back was still turned to us.

"Why did you tell us this?" I blurted out.

"Because it was time you heard it!" He only replied before going to his room leaving us confused and alone in the living room. Dolan sent me a questioning stare that read, what the hell is going on? I only shrugged in response.

*****

It was late now, papa didn't watch the sun go down. He was indoor throughout. I stayed in Dolan's room because I saw no point in staying in the living room alone or even mending clothes. Dolan and I were telling stories and making fun of people when we heard footsteps in the passage. We both knew it was Papa; he alone lived with us. We tiptoed to the door and watched him, he was headed out. Dolan quietly rushed to his wardrobe and grabbed an overcoat, tossing me one which dropped to the floor, he wore his sandals and insisted that I did same. "We must hurry, we need to know what he is up to!" Whispered he.

"You are not saying we should go with him because clearly he wouldn't allow for that." Replied I in a whisper too.

"You dumb idiot we are not going with him, we are going after him!" Corrected he with a light spank on my head. I had worn the overcoat and my sandals as well. We waited till he was outside before we followed. He would stop whatever he was doing when he realizes we were following.

"Prince Desatrus' camp!" Dolan exclaimed. I was quickly wrapped in fear.