Preface

The first time I had ever heard about feminism was in primary school when an article about it popped up while I was searching for a new read. After a quick google search for the definition, I concluded that being a feminist meant that you believed women and men were equal. On paper, feminism seemed like a clear-cut movement. I thought, why wouldn't anyone think that women and men should be equal? 

That same day I didn't hesitate to brag to my parents that "I'm now a feminist!". 

To my surprise however, I was met with criticism and a brief talking-to explaining that feminists are crazy, dramatic women who dislike males as a whole. 

My dad told me a story from back in his hometown in Egypt to explain why he didn't support feminists.

A train carriage was tightly packed on the way to the city and a seated middle aged man noticed a woman around the same age as him standing up. He explained that in middle eastern culture, it's considered rude for a man to be seated while a woman is left standing on public transport, so he offered her his seat. The woman however took offense to this and was angered. My dad asserted that her dramatic response was a result of feminism, and he was just trying to help her. 

He argued that although he believes that women should be treated equally, feminists were irrational and rude. 

Disapointed and conflicted, I ditched my newfound status and forgot about feminism altogether. 

I wonder now if my dad was trying to tell me what I've heard multiple teenage boys argue - we don't need feminism anymore.