Chapter 7

For several hours, as I sat in my room that same night Nathan had given me a second surprise visit, I contemplated about many things; Blair's crush on a certain mystery girl, the birds, and that stupid, simple, kiss that Nathan had planted so confidently on my cheek.

Oh, if only he knew how much I despised him. His smirk, his eyes, his hair, his streaks. Nothing about him pleased me. In my eyes, he was nothing but a speck of dust; something that satisfied me once it was out of my sight completely.

I had to come up with something, anything, that would result in him wanting to stay away from me. Clearly, my first plan ended drastically. But, still, I didn't have the nerve to let it go just yet. I wasn't one to give up, and this plan would prove that more than any other.

I tapped my pencil intensely against my Literature book. I was thinking too much about this. That wasn't healthy. Thankfully, my brain was given a quick break when I was called downstairs for dinner. We were having spaghetti, my favorite.

I stared at the warm dish in delight while everyone else got settled in their seats. Mom and Dad beside one another, me and Becca across from them, and Lizzie in her high chair. That was placed next to Mom.

Like usual, our conversation began with a "How was school?" from both parents.

I was to go first.

My response was always the same, "It was good." Except, this time, I actually made it a little exciting; I explained my little episode in class when I tripped and injured my knees. This received a few giggles from everyone, including Lizzie. And even I joined in after realizing that my little accident was actually a laughable one.

It was Becca's turn. We all looked her way and waited to hear her answer. For minutes, she remained silent as she poked at her half-eaten food.

Suddenly, she sighed. "Not so good. Toby and I got into a fight." she said.

I brought my attention back to my plate. "Who's Toby?" I asked as I twirled a chunk of spaghetti onto my fork and shoved it in my mouth.

"My boyfriend. Duh."

The food in my mouth didn't get a chance to make it halfway down my throat. I choked. And by the sounds of what was happening right across from me, I guessed that I wasn't the only one.

I looked up from my plate, my eyes meeting with Mom as she tapped Dad on his back in panic.

My guess was correct, afterall.

Violent coughs spurted out of Dad's mouth while he tried to make out the word, 'Boyfriend'. And while all of the sudden commotion was happening, I couldn't help but bring my attention to poor little Lizzie. The innocent little toddler looked to be completely oblivious of what was going on. Her main focus was on the saucy noodles that were occupying her face and table. Splatters of tomato flew onto the dining table once she dumped her tiny hands into her bowl, pulling them out with whatever was left inside. She sure was enjoying herself.

"Lloyd, calm down!" Mom hollered, bringing my attention back to the real problem: twelve-year-old Becca having a boyfriend.

"B-boyfriend?" Dad finally stuttered, followed by heavy breaths.

"Honey, it's okay, just relax." Mom told him, rubbing his back for comfort. Or more to relieve his nerves. He was on the verge of having a stroke.

He turned his attention to her. "She has a boyfriend," he said in a low tone.

She nodded. "I know, Honey."

"She's only twelve."

"I know," Mom repeated.