19. irl

Shortly after the conclusion of the strategy meeting, Valerie texted Anna asking her to come to the Avengers compound for "emotional support," and to bring Harry and Sadie, the latter of which had flown in from LA earlier that morning. Eventually, the three arrived, and soon after, they were escorted by Peter into the living room where Valerie and Bianca were snuggling on the couch.

As soon as they walked into the room, Bianca jumped to her feet. Anna halted in her tracks, Harry and Sadie following her lead. For a good three or four minutes, Bianca's friends simply stared at her and Bianca stared back, both parties teary-eyed. No one spoke until Anna broke the silence by loudly declaring, "I'm going to kill you!"

Bianca was unfazed. "Would you mind hugging me first before you kill me? Because I could really use a world-famous Anna Starling hug right now."

Anna didn't hesitate. She surged forward and threw her arms around Bianca. Harry and Sadie were quick to follow. The three squeezed the supposedly-dead girl so tight she started to suffocate, but she didn't mind. It'd been less than 12 hours since Bianca had been declared dead and she'd already missed the company of her friends. It was one thing to be alone when she knew she could reach out to them whenever she needed them. It was an entirely other thing to be alone with no access to them. 

Her friends had always been the best of her; without them, she would still be the girl singing songs at her favorite cafe to a tiny little audience.

Once the hugging and crying were over, Bianca and Valerie filled the newcomers in on the situation.

"So you have to pretend to be dead and we have to pretend to mourn you," Sadie summarized. She and Anna had claimed the seats on either side of Bianca on the couch. Harry had taken up residence in an armchair. By this point in the conversation, Valerie had had to leave to answer some phone calls and Natasha had slunk in to top up her coffee.

"Yeah, pretty much," Bianca laughed awkwardly.

Sadie took that in, nodding to herself. "Well, it's a good thing you're friends with such brilliant actors."

"Why do you think I picked you guys as friends?" Bianca joked.

Harry grinned. "Aw, she's so cute. She thinks she had a choice in becoming friends with us." Anna, who was braiding Bianca's hair, snorted. Natasha took a loud sip of her coffee, garnering the attention of the four young adults.

"Sorry." She smiled apologetically. "Just pretend I'm not here."

"Thank you," Harry said earnestly. "For saving us at the party, but more importantly, for saving Bianca." He reached over and rustled the singer's hair affectionately. She swatted his hand away and shot him a dirty look.

Natasha shook her head, her smile less apologetic and more mischievous. "Well, I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not the one who saved Bianca."

"Then who did?" Anna asked. She and Sadie entirely missed the rosy blush darkening Bianca's cheeks, but Harry didn't. He locked eyes with her and raised his eyebrows, silently questioning if her blush meant what he thought it meant. Bianca just narrowed her eyes at him. He knew what that look meant: "Say anything and I'll make you wish you were never born."

"Who did what?" Tony questioned, strolling into the lounge with Peter close behind. Bianca's cheeks grew even warmer. She ducked her head, suddenly finding great interest in the loose thread on her sweater sleeve.

Natasha took a sip of her coffee, a knowing smirk playing on her lips, then answered, "The kids want to know who saved Bianca."

Tony's expression changed to match the Black Widow's. "Oh? Do they now?" Peter looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here.