3. Deskmate

"Can I sit next to you?" asked Ruby from me.

I was sure, I had heard wrong.

"Sorry?" I asked trying to sound as polite as I could.

Ruby smiled a bit nervously. "I asked could I sit next to you?"

We were in literature class. It was the first class we had on Monday. And Ruby Deleon was asking if she could sit next to me. How likely it is for anyone to be asked such a question from their crush?

I nodded, reminding myself to smile and be polite. "Yeah, sure," I answered. For most classes, I sat alone. Not because I didn't have any friends but because I focused better when I was by myself. I was sure I'm not going to be able to concentrate in literature classes from now on but I just couldn't say no to such an opportunity.

Ruby was sitting in literature with Martin before. While Ruby was taking her things out of her bag, Martin sat down in his old place. My other classmate Jackson saw an opportunity there to escape from sitting next to our classmate Clara. Clara was a friendly girl but she talked way too much. Even turning a class and teachers kept asking her to be quiet.

It was actually not that big deal to change seats after the holiday. Martin and Jackson sitting together made perfect sense. They were desk mates in Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, and Geography. Martin was good at numbers and geometry and Jackson loved chemistry and he was very fond of countries and traditions. He knew everything from a country landscape to its politicians. Boys benefited from each other.

Ruby wanting to sit with me didn't really make sense. Sure, I liked reading and knew quite a lot about literature history but there were smarter people than me in the class.

Literature class was rather boring that day. Miss Sonny repeated the last subjects we learned before the spring break so I didn't need to pay attention. Ruby didn't talk with me turning lesson nor after it. In the next lesson, she sat down next to Hannah, her best friend.

The rest of the school day was usual. All of that made me really confused about why Ruby had sat down next to me. Why did she want to be desk mates only in literature? Was I just overthinking and it was a normal thing to do? I needed answers and I knew I needed help to figure it all out.