Chapter 2: Artificial Flowers

Artificial Flowers best represent false ideas, and deceived expectations.
Chryssa:
I turned the open sign off, and checked around the shop one last time. Everything seemed to be in order for another day of work tomorrow, so I walked out the door and locked it.

I had a date with my boyfriend, and couldn't wait. We were supposed to go to the movies and to dinner. It was 6 o'clock , so I would have an hour to get ready for our date at 7.

I smiled as I drove home. Life seemed to be going pretty well for me right now. My floral shop was doing well, I had a boyfriend who seemed to be acting normal unlike most of my other relationships I have had, and I felt secure with my life.

After a few minutes, I finally arrived at my apartment. I was glad to finally have some free time, and spend it on a date. My boyfriend, Brad, was a very nice guy. We had only been going out for about 6 months, but he always seemed to treat me well. He had been very busy with working late this week, but finally I had asked him about going on a date, and he said today would work.

I unlocked my door, and went inside my apartment. It was a mess right now, but I planned to clean it soon. I looked around the kitchen and living room at all my small flowers or succulents. I had them all over because I was obsessed with plants. I live, eat, and breathe plants. I was glad to see they were all in good condition.

I set down my keys, and was about to walk to my room when I noticed something on the coffee table. I walked over to find a vase with artificial flowers in them. I was very confused because these were not from me. I didn't like artificial flowers in the least, so I knew they were from someone else. I saw a small note on the table next to it, and picked it up to read it.

Chryssa,
I got called into work again tonight, and won't be able to make it on our date. Maybe we can try for another day?
Love,
    Brad

I sighed. I was partly angry, and party sad. It sort of ruined my whole "life is great" mood. I decided my night would now consist of frozen dinner, and Netflix. I really wanted to go on that date, and now I just felt bad about life. I couldn't tell if it was the fact that he cancelled again or the artificial flowers.

Tom (The next day):

I again walked to the floral shop in Oxford street. I had two coffee's in hand (okay so I know he drinks tea more, but for the stories sake, right now he is gonna drink coffee), one for me, and one for her. It had occured to me last night that I had never figured out the flower girls' name, but I would.

I shifted the coffee so I could open the door, and walked in. I was again met with the smell of nature, and the familiar warm shop. The bell rang above me, and I saw her turn around. This time, she was planting a large flower arrangement into a bigger pot, instead of standing by the counter. I saw her smile at me, and it made butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"Hi again." She said. "How can I help you?"

"Oh, I wanted to thank you for the bouquet yesterday. Also, I brought you- I brought you coffee." I said. She smiled, and took off her gardening gloves. I moved towards one of the small tables inside, and set the coffee's down. She walked over, and sat down.

"Thanks. No one ever just comes in here for me. They come in because they love plants or they want to buy something usually."

"That's exactly why I came again. Also, I didn't get your name last time." I saw a smile grow on her face, and she took a sip of the coffee I had given to her.

"Well, I go by Chryssa. My life sort of revolves around plants, and so did my mom's. My full name is Chrysanthemum. Yeah, it seems a bit much for a girl who loves flowers, but I wasn't the one who chose it. What about you, what's your name?" I grinned. Her life really did revolve around flowers, but I loved it.

"My name's Tom. I think your name is beautiful. Anyway, that bouquet worked like a charm. They had no idea what they really meant, and they even thanked me for them. I had a good laugh about that." We both chuckled, and I found myself thinking too long about her angelic laughter.

"Well, I'm glad I could help. If you really wanted to say something to them, you could've just given them artificial flowers." She said. I watched as her face fell from the happy look she had previously.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, just my dumb boyfriend, but I don't need to talk about it because I barely know you. I don't need to complain to a stranger." Right then, I was sure my face fell. I didn't know why, but at the word 'boyfriend', my heart fell. She was right, we were strangers. It shouldn't have made me feel anything, but I had to accept the fact that I was falling for her.

"Well, I wish I could help you out. Also, maybe we could become friends. I want to be friends, and not strangers. You seem pretty cool." I said, trying not to put an emphasis on pretty.

"Yeah, I think I would like that."

We continued talking until a few customer's came in, and I had to go, but I promised that I would come back tomorrow. I knew I was falling for her, and right then an idea formed in my head.