Bladebreakers

"Hey Ray! Have you seen Tyson?"

the Chinese blader turned to see his cheerful blond team mate waving at him.

"Oh, hey Max. Did Mr. D call you as well?"

"He sure did. Um, where's our wet blanket?"

Ray grinned,"Just wait till Kai hears the nicknames you have made for him! Well, Kai's in the hospital."

"The hospital?" Max's eyes widened, "What did he do NOW?"

"Nothin'. The doctors just wanted to check the injuries he got during the BEGA tournament,"

Max stared,"You mean KAI went to a hospital for a check up just like that, without blowing off?"

Ray chuckled,"Course not. You see, Kai and Tyson were beyblading with each other even though the doctors specifically told Kai NOT TO. As a result, Mr. D got angry when he saw Kai battling. The battle got halted midway and Kai got quite an earful from Mr. D. Needless to say, Tyson got really sulky about it."

"Boy, I missed out on a real fun scene." Max moaned in frustration,"I had to go back to USA after their first battle, which ended in a tie anyway. What a waste! So, how many more times did they battle?"

"About twenty-five times more..."

"WHAT?!"

"Ya, they tied the first twenty-four times, but in the twenty-fifth battle..."

"Don't tell me, Tyson won?"

"Nope. Kai did. That's why Tyson got so sulky. He wanted a rematch."

Max laughed,"Well, that's our World Champion all right. So, where is he now?"

"Being late, as usual. Though this time, he has a good reason to be late. He went along to the hospital. After all, who can stop a pissed off Tyson?"

Max nodded in understanding.

"Well, where are they? We have been waiting forever!" Max grunted.

"Be patient, Max."

"But it's already half-past two. We have been standing here for thirty minutes or so."

"Half-past two?"Ray started. Max looked confused," What's wrong?"

"Well, I'm pretty sure that it's only been five minutes."

"Eh?"Max looked as if someone had smacked him in the face,"But look, my watch says that-WHAT? Now it's showing a quarter to four?"

Ray tried to reassure the blond,"Your watch must have had speeded up, don't you think?"

"But that's impossible... hey Ray, what's the color of the sky?"

Ray was surprised at this apparently unrelated question,"Um, blue at this time of the day, right?" Ray murmured as he looked up, then stared in disbelief.

"Then why am I seeing green, purple and other colors as well?" Max echoed his exact thoughts.

What in the world was going on?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Somewhere else close by)

"Hey Kai! What did the white coats say?"

Kai made an annoyed face at the other's question.

"Why, didn't you hear?"

Tyson grumbled,"They did not let me in. So, what did they say?" Kai grunted in response.

"Hey Mr. D, what did the docs say? Mr. Kai here won't tell."

The bald man looked back at the young bladers.

"Nothing much, Tyson. Just this-if Mr. Kai here tries to beybattle with a world champion right now, his arm might get badly damaged."

Tyson quietly fumed, then started again,"What? That means no battles for him? C'mon Mr. D, I just want a tinny rematch. I won't be too hard on him, I promise." Kai shot him an angry glare, while Mr. D quietly chuckled.

"Now now Tyson, don't you want him to get better before the World Championship?"

"Ya, but... "

"No buts, Tyson. As a matter of fact, all of you people need a vacation."

They got suddenly interrupted by a shrill voice,"Hey Mr. D! Where on vacation?"

"Daichi! Are you under my seat?"

Tyson yelped as the little monkey crawled out.

"How did you escape Hillary and Chief's close scrutiny?"

Tyson and Daichi began to fight. Kai quietly resigned himself for a noisy ride back, though he was secretly glad that they were off his case, for now at least.

Tyson yanked Daichi by his shirt.

"Aren't you supposed to be at school right now?" Daichi slipped out of his grasp.

"Who stays at school till five, huh?"

"Five? But, it's only a quarter to two... eh?!"

All the occupants of the car stared at the car's digital clock, whose time was accelerating like a racing car. Daichi's voice broke through,"Hey Tyson-why does the sky look like ice cream to me?"

Tyson turned, ready to retort that everything looked edible to him, but halted midway. The sky was looking like a huge rainbow or something. He had never seen anything like that.

"Aurora."

"What?" He turned towards his laconic team mate.

"It's the phenomenon of the Aurora Borealis." Kai heard himself say,"But it only occurs near the Poles. What the heck are those lights doing in Japan?"

Poles? Tyson thought. Does he mean those North and South Poles Ms. Kincaid was talking about in geography class when he got caught dozing, yesterday? He looked at Kai. He sure knew stuff. Mr. D squinted through his glasses,"You are right, Kai. So, what's going on?"

As Mr. D finished his sentence, everything went black. Tyson heard a sharp breath on his right side. The car veered off to one side.

Tyson suddenly realized that Kai was afraid of the dark. He heard Daichi scream. Then everything faded away as he lost consciousness. 

Just before he lost his senses, he felt Kai reach for him.