XI

Once they had all eaten dinner the parents wanted dessert and David asked Jonah: "Do you want to get out of there?"

Jonah gave him a puzzled look. "I didn't bring my car."
David smiled "I did, but we don't even need it- lets just walk."
Jonah glanced over at their parents- the mothers seemingly on their fourth glasses of wine, deciding whether or not to get the 'chocolate montaña' or the 'tiramisu'; and he thought to himself what was the worst that could happen.

~~~~~

The boys escaped the restaurant without much trouble and soon were walking down the sidewalk in the low light of the encroaching dusk.

Jonah laughed as David recounted memories from when they were younger- a lot of them nearly forgotten by Jonah as he had been quite young, and Jonah felt like he was getting amnesia as he could barely remember why he'd been upset at David at all.

When they reached the bend in the side walk David suddenly stopped walking glancing towards a trail that entered into the trees and shrubbery on the opposite side of the road.

"What?" Jonah asked confused to the sudden stop.
"Let's go though there." David said already walking towards the trail a boyish smile plastered onto his face.
Jonah laughed "Whats that way?" But followed David anyway.
"I think a bay." David responded, and Jonah laughed.

'I think a bay' was the least 'I know where I'm going' statement there was, but Jonah followed him because he was feeling good, if the few glasses of wine he drank were influencing his good mood he wasn't sure- but he liked how he felt very much.

They trudged though the trail, that seemed well worn, as the trees had been cut to make the passage more accessible, and within five minutes they exited the patch of trees.

David had been right it was a bay. The outline of the city across the water left streaks of light that reflected across the bay, and Jonah smiled, he felt like he'd smiled more since they left the restaurant on this walk than he'd smiled in the last month.

"See." David bragged teasingly "I know what im talking about."
And Jonah laughed walking towards the water saying "Sure, whatever."

It was still warm out- the beginning of September- and Jonah was suddenly overcome by an urge to swim. He knew he normally wouldn't do this because he didn't have trunks- but he was tipsy on wine and David so he turned back to David who was looking at him curiously and said:
"Lets swim!"

David looked at him his face contorting into a grin and asked"Now?"
And Jonah responded "Yes now." With a laugh in his voice.
"In all our clothes?"

Jonah paused then responded "Well... not in all of them."

The words came out teasingly. He hadn't meant it to come out so flirtatiously, so when he turned to walk closer to the water he didn't see Davids eyes widen, as Jonah started to pull hits shirts over his head, followed by his pants which he kicked off, leaving only his boxers on.

Jonah turned to David who was starring at him in surprise and Jonah yelled "What? Come on!" As he smiled walking into the water backwards.

Davids eyes remained transfixed on Jonahs pale body that seemed to reflect the rising moonlight, then he snapped out of it tugging his shirt over his head, then pushing his pants down, then racing towards Jonah his rapid motions causing the water to fly up and splash at his chest.

Jonah turned and let out something that sounded a bit like a squeal as he ran further into the water to escape the splashes David was creating.

The water was as warm as the air and Jonah dove under feeling the bubbles pas his face, and trail along his body. He felt so alive- so free- so happy- and Jonah realized this is what being twenty is supposed to be like- he wished he could feel like this always.