Chapter 24 (Part 1)

They sat in silence beside each other as the large dome filled with both audience members and successful examinees.

This awkward moment gave both of them an uneasy feeling. Both Julie and John had questions to ask one another but both had their own reasons for staying silent.

Julie didn't say anything primarily because of her embarrassment for the way she threatened John as well as the fear that she might scare him away again.

John was pretty much too scared to speak to her. He figured if he said something wrong, he'd loose his head over it (literally). He noticed she didn't have her swords by her sides.

'Where did she hide them?' he wondered; 'did they confiscate them?'

He looked around the dome; all the entrances had men in black suits guarding them. They had dark sunglasses on, making both John and Julie wonder what was their use inside the building.

After a few awkward minutes, John decided it was time to break the ice; before the ceremony started. He also figured starting a conversation would make the awkward moment go by faster. This was frequently the case if two were to speak while waiting, John found.

Julie seemed to have the same idea.

"So" they both started unanimously. Surprised, each stopped talking and waited for the other to continue.

Finally, John decided to speak, keeping his tone as cheerful as possible and giving his friendliest smile; "Why'd you try to kill me earlier?" these words came out of his mouth before he even realized what he had said.

'Are you kidding me?! Of all the questions you could have asked her, you used something so provocative?' he shouted at himself in his mind, trying hard not to face-palm physically, 'you sir, are a moron!' he thought to himself, trying to keep his (now pathetically fading) smile on his face.

Julie, at the sound of the question, pretended not to hear it and asked him to repeat himself.

"Ehm, I mean," John cleared his throat with a cough, "why were you so hostile towards me earlier?" he asked, rephrasing the question; "at the exam I mean" -- 'Better' he acknowledged in his thoughts, though still not forgiving himself for being so careless.

"Well, I wasn't expecting another examinee in my exam," replied Julie, looking slightly uncomfortable, "So I figured you were another test"

John figured this was completely obvious and felt stupid for asking.

Julie felt embarrassed for lying; 'shouldn't I tell him the truth?' she thought nervously; 'he doesn't seem that harmful! And besides, in prophecies one almost always finds the dark path through miscommunication.' Julie was remembering her studies as a child.

"Do you have any plans for world domination by any chance?" asked Julie. As soon as those words were uttered, she fought an immense urge to give herself a massive face palm; 'what the hell are you doing? Who asks a question like that to a stranger?!' She yelled at herself in her mind.

"Um, not that I know of" replied John with a slight chuckle; he figured she was trying to break the ice with a joke and felt slightly relieved. "Wait, do I look like a world dominator?" he added awkwardly, sitting up with a puffed chest; trying to make himself look more menacing – it was an attempt to keep the mood light.

"Of course not" Julie smiled vaguely. Her mind was panicking; what was she supposed to say? How much was she allowed to tell him?

John deflated. He noticed Julie's face contort; she appeared to be about to say something, then seemed to think better of it and stayed silent.