Chapter 5

In the vision she saw very much, yet too little.

A lot she both understood, and misunderstood.

A lot made her understand confusion.

She seen figures in white - She seen them dancing.

She saw the white moon; it was full.

Then the happy and colorful picture changed and, as she watched from above, she saw the figures of white get cut down mercilessly one after the other by a shadow; leaving nothing but a red trail of suffering, destruction and misery.

Julie heard screaming.

The moon was seen once more; now a small sliver of red.

Chills of ice were felt when she heard her own name spoken in a whisper.

The instant her name was uttered, Julie awoke; back in the council room.

Her clothes were cold and her pulse was beating wildly in her throat. Julie tried to catch her breath; she looked like she had just run a marathon.

As she gasped for air she looked around the council room for the Elders; but only the Eldest One was there. The rest had departed for reasons Julie didn't quite know (her mind wondered on that for a second).

"That was the prophecy, wasn't it?" asked Julie through frantic breaths.

"You are correct child" replied the Eldest One in a calm and soothing voice; she was watching Julie intently with a superior gaze (common for old people).

"The council ladies have left while you were watching the vision" continued the Eldest One, "They were not able to take the pain that was painted on your face while you were seeing"

Julie was confused, "But, didn't they see the prophecy as well?"

The Eldest One shook her head, "Only the direct descendants can read anything related to the Book of Life." Seeing Julie's expression, she smiled; "allow me to cast away a part of your confusion" waving her hand above her head gently; causing the candles on the chandelier to glow brighter, "The Prophecy was passed down to us for generations and, through the years, it had shifted to a more stable one", she knelt beside Julie, raising her hand to stop her from getting up and offering her chair, "I have been able to read the Book of Life for centuries but when the new heir was born, that skill was no longer mine."

The Eldest One's white eyes observed Julie intently throughout the explanation, shifting now and then as if to try to catch what was written around her head. She seemed to be reading everything that was going on in Julie's mind.

Julie was shocked and honored by this, "I know there's no need to talk because you can read my mind" she straightened her back, "but I feel the need to get this all out the common way" raising her neat eyebrows and squinting, "May I speak freely?"

The Eldest One nodded; a tiny smile reflected on her thin red lips.

"Okay" said Julie taking a deep breath, "let me get this straight" rubbing her forehead, "this prophecy has been handed down for generations until it was handed to you, in which case you have been reading it for centuries until I came into this world, since" she looked up at the Elder One with a raised eyebrow of disbelief, "I'm the heir" she paused, "may I ask why I was unaware of this until now?"