II. A Light In The Dark

Lady Athril, worried about the recent events, went looking in the Millennial Library, located in the deepest dungeons of Valni, and hiding tons of mysteries within its walls, she would go every dawn and return to the palace at noon. She did the same thing for almost 2 years, not much for an elf, and less for the ancient protector of the twin cities.

After searching vigorously in the vast tomes and ancient scrolls of the library, Lady Athril found what she had been looking for, a sparkle of hope, something that could give her people a relief and hope to see their beloved ones once again.

What she found was the Ancient Protector's Prophecy, hidden within the family tree of the elves. Its content was as follows:

"To seek freedom for all of Magvel, the bearer of an ancient curse, placed upon him by not other power than dark magic, he who will be born in the middle of dark times, of catastrophes, must commence a journey to see the fiercest creatures in the world, the ancient ones, the ones who created life, magic, fire, light and darkness itself; he must seek the ancient dragons, for there is one for each element. Danger awaits the chosen one, death must be surpassed, because only a worthy elf will be able to overcome the overwhelming dragons. Only then can there be peace in a world surrounded by darkness."

Lady Athril got very surprised the moment she read the prophecy, for there had only been one birth in between the years of the war and the fall of Erundel, only one elf, the son of Ephraim and Ithen, a couple of weapon crafters and blacksmiths who lived near the dungeons of Valni. Ethrim was his name.

Athril went to the elves' council to discuss what she had found at the library, the moment she opened the door, Draim, chief of the council said:

- You can't be this fool to think about a stupid prophecy that's been forgotten for many centuries!

- Athril said: There is no other way, Draim, the Ancient Prophecy is the only thing we can believe in now, and we must follow what it says if we ever want to return peace and prosperity to our land and to the world itself, I can't keep my arms crossed, at least I will try to do something.

- Draim replied: you may be right, milady. I apologize for being rude. Please go seek the boy, find out if he is worthy of the light, if he is the one who can save us, if he is the chosen one.

Lady Athril bowed at Draim and began her search for the boy. She knew only that the parents were a couple of blacksmiths in Valni, but that is all she knew. Athril spent four weeks searching for a boy, but she couldn't find any children neither playing, nor fighting with wooden swords, the archery range was full of young bowmasters already, Athril was on the verge of losing hope; not till one day she came across a youngster in her way to the chapel of Efhis. The moment she made a turn to go uptown, the youngster shoved Athril by accident, making her wobble.

The youngster apologised to Athril and said:

- I am very sorry, milady, punish me if I deserve it, I won't deny my mistake.

- Smiling, Athril said: Do not worry, my dear boy. What is your name, young lad?

- Ethrim, he said. I-I am sorry milady. How can I pay back to you for almost making you fall like that?

- We will discuss that when I take you home, lead the way, she said.

They then made their way near the dungeons, where the entrance to the library is, and entered a small hole in a stone, which resulted to be a workshop. A couple of elves arrived at the entrance and welcomed Athril:

- Milady, what a surprise it is to have you here in our humble home! I am Ephraim, I craft bows, arrows and spears for the battalion of Ildrim, and this is my wife.