III. Lessons

A few weeks elapsed since the events in the chapel, Ethrim was fully recovered and Erendor had arranged an assembly with the boy and his parents. Athril personally escorted Ethrim up to the council chamber where everyone expected anxiously.

I have summoned you here today, my dear elves, to introduce you to a very special youngling: come here, Ethrim! Said Erendor. I want you all to meet Ethrim, firstborn of Ephraim and Ithen. We all know what he went through, and we also know that he may be more important than we might have thought. Please milady...

Thank you my lord. Well, this is not an easy thing to say to you, and I know you have been wondering why you are so suddenly involved in the recent events. Ithen, Ephraim, there is a sacred prophecy we all know about, said Athril, and we have been hit by a wave of darkness since the fall of Erundel, so it is important for you to know that Ethrim is the only child born right after the fall.

Yes, milady, we are aware of that, said the couple, but what does it have to do with us? We are but a mere working class family, our son has just started schooling and trying to keep up with other fellow younglings.

I had not had this feeling in hundreds of years, believe me. But our race is in danger as days go by and with the threats of the Bolgun at our doorstep, the bizarre events happening inside the walls, Erundel covered in the shroud, we don't have time to lose and our only hope right now is that prophecy. My dear elves, we in the council think that Ethrim... We think that Ethrim is the chosen one by the prophecy.

The couple stood still, having heard those breath-taking words that had been terrifying, a storm of ideas and thoughts about their future and their child's came so fast they could not distinguish reality from fantasy. Ethrim himself was astonished, the only things that seemed like this were the stories about Saleh and other heroes thousands of years ago.

When the couple (especially Ithen) recovered a little bit of posture and colour in their faces, Ephraim gathered strength to say a few words:

There is no way my son is a "chosen one", he is just a regular boy who has a lot to learn and I won't ever risk his life, he said whining, don't tell me this is the only way, it cannot be, not my Ethrim, milady, not him.

Ithen then fell unconscious in her husband's arms, unable to have participation in that matter. The apprentices of the healing church were immediately summoned to treat her in Efhis Chapel.

Don't you think Ethrim is an extraordinary boy, Ephraim? Said Athril in a humble voice tone.

I love my son more than my life, I would never doubt him, ever; but this is not about loving him, milady, I will not let the high commands take him away from us. What are you expecting him to do? There will be risks, and we are not willing to risk our boy.

There will be danger in this upcoming pathway, indeed, said Atrhil; danger that will intensify the more we wait, Ephraim. He will not be alone, that I can assure you, he will never be, the council supports him and will provide whatever is necessary in order to preserve his well-being.

Suddenly, Ethrim interrupted the discussion:

May I have a word on this, milady? Dad?

Go ahead, said both elves.

Alright, thank you. Listen, dad, I know I am only 63 years old (9 years for the average human, 36 for a Bolgun), but I see how things work, I can tell our family is struggling, like many others inside the walls, I see Valni does not have the life the stories tell, how we were affected by the fall of Erundel. I know I am young and that I should not take risks, but Saleh took risks in order to overcome the darkness, those stories cannot be fake, dad. We must take risks in order to achieve what is desired, that's what books have taught me.