prologue

☁︎︎

may 2025

"Hey, Coco, can you pack up the bookshelf next?" 21 year old Dylan Kingwell calls from the kitchen. Tomorrow was moving day, and Carter couldn't be more excited to move in with her boyfriend of four and a half years.

"I'll get it in a second. Just taping the last box of bathroom objects." Carter responds with a grunt in her voice as she flattens the box. Holding it down, Carter grabbed the tape roll and ripped a piece off with the help of her teeth.

After fastening the box, the young woman picked it up and placed it with all the others in the living room. Carter sat down on the box for a minute, catching her breath. She looked over at the bookshelf on the other side of the room and smiled.

After a moment of catching her breath, Carter walked over to the tall, black bookshelf. She pulled some young adult novels off the shelf and placed them in a box. They didn't quite fill a box, but she taped it over anyways, labeling it YA Books.

"Dylan, I need help reaching these albums!" Carter called, stepping back as her boyfriend reached up and grabbed a thick book. It's title was covered in dust, and you could tell that it was made carefully, too precious to mess up.

Dylan and Carter just stared at the dusty, big book in their hands. Carter blew the dust from the cover into the air. There was still some left over dust on the cover that Dylan brushed away.

2020

"The worst and best year of my life." Carter chuckled humourlessly. Dylan sat down on one of the boxes, placing the book on his lap.

"When did I come in?" He smirked, looking up at Carter, who had started playing with his hair. She smiled back down at him, pain flashing across her glossy eyes.

"Read and find out."

☁︎︎