Chapter 18

Regina

Henry comes out of Emma's room and I can tell she told him. His face is pale white, and his eyes are void of emotion. He's got his walls up. I put my arm round him and we walk to the car, where Robin is waiting in the driver's seat.

"I thought I was driving," I complain. I need the distraction of concentrating on something.

"I am. You drove." Of course. Henry gets in the back and I go to get in the passenger seat, but Snow and David turn up.

"How is she?" As soon as she gets out of the truck, Snow hurries over.

"Still grieving. She hasn't eaten anything, only drunk water. Her doctor is still keeping her company." Snow sighs.

"Do you think she's up for us visiting?" I gesture to Henry as I reply.

"He's just been in and she's explained what happened. I didn't see Doctor Cameron leave, so I guess she's still there." She nods and grabs David, appearing to fill him in on what I said before they disappear through the main doors.

I get back into the passenger seat, uninterrupted this time, and we head home.

Emma

Allison's pager cuts through the silence of the room, shocking me out of my thoughts. I've been drowning in them since Henry left. As she leaves, Mum and Dad come in.

"How are you doing?" Mum asks, putting her bag down by the side of the bed. Dad stays by the door, looking awkward.

"I'm alright. Henry visited," I purposely ignore the question.

"We know. We bumped into Regina, Robin and Henry on the way in. They were just leaving. How are you doing physically, then?" Now that one, I can answer.

"I think my arm's getting better, and my side doesn't feel any worse. You'll have to ask Allison—Doctor Cameron—for the details." Now that I'm used to calling her Allison, I forget that no one else in my family knows her name. As I finish speaking, Allison comes back in.

"Speak of the devil, sure to appear," I quip, trying to keep the mood relatively happy. She looks from me to Mum.

"You were talking about me?" I nod.

"Mum asked how I was physically and I said you'd know that details." She smiles.

"Yes. Well, your arm is nearly to the point where we can take your cast off, although I'm wondering if it would pay to leave it on a little longer based on your history of danger. Your head will scar, but that's nearly healed. Your side is the worst. The stitches will come off in a week, but you'll have to rest for another two after that." My eyes widen at the fact that I still have three weeks of doing nothing. Before I can say anything, however, Allison carries on. "How are you coping?" I should have guessed that was coming.

"Fine," I say. I don't want to sound harsh or curt but how do they think I am? I just murdered my boyfriend to save myself. She raises her eyebrows.

"You can be honest with me, you know. I'm bound by doctor-patient confidentiality. I can't tell anyone without risk of losing my license." I sigh and pull down my mental walls, allowing her to see how I'm really feeling. As soon as I do, tears start leaking from my eyes, however much I try to stop them.

Regina

I sit curled up on the sofa with Robin and Henry, hoping that Emma is okay. We're watching Snow White and laughing at how inaccurate it is. Robin's arm around my shoulder is a comfort: steadying me and pushing the weight that had been steadily growing in my shoulders away, if only for one, blissful moment. My thoughts drift back to Emma, and the grief I know all too well she must be feeling.