Good Times

Plans had somehow been made, and the day had arrived. And Sarah really, really wanted to take a rain check. Too late.

Somehow, the group had decided to get together at Sarah's house for fall break. Sarah dreaded this greatly, so much so that she had thrown up the night before, but her mother seemed excited to hear that Sarah was finally making friends again, so Sarah decided she had to go through with it. And a second thought, a thought that Sarah had chewed on for the past few days, my mom will be home while my friends are here. For the first time in years, she will be home just for me. She wondered if it was a selfish thing to think. She works all the time, Sarah reminded herself, suddenly ridden with the familiar weight of guilt.

A knock at the door pulled Sarah back to the present. She watched with gut-wrenching anxiety, palms tacky, as her mother opened it. On the porch of their house stood Mike with a cocky grin, Horus, and Jeremy. Sarah had been waiting on them for over an hour; Horus's dad had given all three of them a ride, and he stood in the door frame with them. He shook Sarah's mother's hand politely, spoke a few words, and then left. Why did I ever agree to this? Sarah thought. Her mother led the boys inside, a slight distaste in her eyes, similar to that of Sarah's. Is she disappointed?

"Well, you three look like quite the bunch," Her mother spoke cheerily, "Do you like spaghetti?" They all nodded. A silence passed. "So.. Do you three have names?"

They all nodded silently again. Sarah covered her face with a hand, this is going horribly already and they've been here for less than two seconds!

"Well...?"

"Horus," the tallest boy said, "And my fair friend and lover, dear Michael, and Jeremy."

"That's sweet," she held a look of slight confusion, then turned to Sarah, "Why don't you take them out to see the animals? Linda will be here soon." Sarah nodded silently, and led the boys out the back door of the house, and outside. It seemed the air was fresher; it was chilly, with a low breeze, and the tension they'd all felt in the house immediately released as the door closed behind them. Sarah sighed deeply.

"My mom," she spoke with disdain.

"She's cool," Jeremy piped.

Mike grumbled sarcastically, "Who's Linda? You didn't say you were inviting your girlfriend."

Sarah chuckled dryly and began to walk out and through the backyard, "She's my mom's girlfriend, actually." The group followed her.

"My," Horus said with wonder, "You never told us of the palace you live in."

"We have a few goats and chickens," Sarah shrugged, "Not much of a castle."

"And a dog!" Jeremy squealed from behind them. Sarah laughed, watching in amusement as their Great Pyranese, who was nearly as tall as Jeremy, pushed against him affectionately, heavy tail wagging.

"That's Borus," Sarah said.

Horus slowly lifted his head and let his eyes go wide, "Oh, my love, our names! It was meant to be!" He dramatically draped himself over the huge back of the dog, who grumbled happily in response. Sarah raised an eyebrow, and turned to look at Mike, who was grinning stupidly. He glanced back at her, locking eyes, and shrugged. The hefty dog leapt up greatly and playfully, knocking down Jeremy and Horus both in the process, whom landed in the frosty grass laughing.

Sarah narrowed her eyes, an idea sprouting, "You guys like dogs?"

"Very much so," Horus replied. She smiled, and then turned, and hollered a name across the lengthy property and wide goat pens. She hollered again, then a third time, and then two large dogs began to bound into view, stepping out of the doghouse sitting alongside the chicken coupe. Two brilliantly dainty and yet large, red and white Collies ran the length of the yard in a matter of seconds to greet the strangers excitedly.