Chapter 2

"I hope you have gotten a mosquito net now?"Mrs Owolabi asked me.

"Yes,Ma,"I replied.

"Okay,bring it out.I need to inspect it to be sure it's the standard one that you bought."

Not again.

I bent over and opened my box while I searched for the mosquito net that my mom purchased for me.

Finally,I found it as I stood up holding it in my hands.

"Is that it?" Mrs Owolabi asked me.

"Yes,ma."I responded back fed up at the Kind of questions she was asking me.

"Okay,let me see it."she said,opening her hands to receive the net.

I gave it to her and watched her as she opened it.

"Ah,this your own is quality.Are you sure we will not switch this your net with my own."she asked, jokingly.

I laughed while I silently gawked at her as she smiled.

She dare not try it.

"No!Ma ah,I can't switch it ooh." I joked, smiling but in reality I was serious about it.

"See your head after everything we have done for you."she mocked,obviously offended."You can't even give your teachers anything.ehn all this children."

I scoffed and looked back at her.

"Ah,ma,If you are done checking it.Can I put it back in my bag?I don't want stains on it since I will be using it tonight." I said.

She gawked at me with mean eyes.

"Abeg,carry this your trash from my table."she screeched.

"Ah,sorry oh."I blurted out.

"And what was that?"she asked me as she glared back at me.

"Ah,it's nothing."I said,as I turned to Onose. "Abi,Onose did you hear me say anything."

She shook her head." No,she didn't say anything."

Mrs Owolabi looked at me with doubt.

"Ma,Can I leave now,If you are done."I asked.

She looked at me with irritated eyes and eyed me before she spoke.

"You can go."she said.

"Ah,okay,thank you Ma."I responded,as I turned to leave.

"Wait,where are you going?Won't you find something for us?" She asked me.

I looked at Onose and then back at Mrs Owolabi whose questions were beginning to annoy me.

"Ma,I don't have any money to give you."I spelled out to her as I spoke out,softly and clearly.

She gave me a disgusted look and waved her hands indicating that I should go.

I turned to leave as I hissed.

"They would be looking for someone to extort money from as if they are not paying them."I said to Onose who was clearly annoyed at what had happened.

"Isn't that why she looks like that."Onose joked,making me burst out in laughter.

"Ah, Onose,you have bad mouth." I mouthed, laughing.

"No ooh,I am just saying the truth out here."she defended.

"I am even surprised that you didn't say anything when she was asking about the mosquito net."I told her.

" I was just suppressing my anger because If I wanted to speak out.We would enter one trouser today. I would have insulted her life out of her destiny."she answered.

"Thank God,You didn't say anything ooh because I trust you.You would have finished her today."

We both laughed as we dropped down our bags.

"This place is so dusty."I said,as I began to dust the corners of my lockers."They can't even clean up this place."

The hostel was in a terrible condition as the lockers were all dusty. The window net had turned brown out of dust. Spiderwebs were almost at every corner of the hostel.The bunks were already rusting.

"Ah,this your bunk don they rust oh."Onose informed me.

"Ehen,Ehen,where?" I asked,as she pointed out the spot that was rusting.

"They can't even take proper care of the hostel for us." I said, irritated at the condition that the hostel was in. "Abeg,Onose, come and join me to find a good bunk abeg."

We checked the conditions of some of the other bunks in the room as the whole place was still scanty.

"Come and check this one." she called out to me.

"This one is still better compared the other ones. Abeg, let's carry this one before other students start barging in."

"Okay,you will carry this side."I informed her. "And I will carry it from this side."

I said as we lifted up the bunks with our whole strength and power. I was a bit lucky because Onose was a bit huge so the weight didn't have much impact on me.

We dropped the bunk down and pulled away the other one as we panted from exhaustion.

"I can't believe I just came here today and I am working out like this." I said,still panting from exhaustion.

"Yours is even better when I came in the morning. I had to tidy up the room and move out the bunk because the whole place was messed up.If you saw me this morning ehn,you would think I had taken a shower because if you see the sweat that was coming out of my body ehn,you would pity me."

"Ah,it's not easy ooh."I exclaimed as I sat down trying to catch my breath.

"I'm tired." I exclaimed as I sank down on the bed.

"Won't you arrange your clothes in the locker."she asked me.

"Ah,that's true oh. I just forgot."I said,as I jerked back up pulling my box to my side.

I began to arrange my clothes in the locker,then I arranged the provisions my mom had purchased for me.

"Wow,you even brought the big size of the Golden Morn!" Onose exclaimed as she saw the quantity of things I had brought.

"Yes,It's my Uncle that works there that gave me."

"Really,do you have another one."she asked.

"I don't have one I can give you now but I think I can give you this Cornflakes."I said.

"Really?"she asked me.

"Yes," I said,as I pulled out the Nasco cornflakes from my locker. "You can have this one."

"Aww,thank you."she gushed excitedly.

Onose loves cereals so much. I remember that there was a time when her Mom stopped buying Cereals for her.Onose started saving money and started buying them by herself. I am afraid that if she doesn't get over this her love for cereals she won't even look at any other food again.

But that been said,Onose can eat for Africa.She can chop chop.I'm sure that's why she is so robust unlike me that is slim like this.

AN:
What do you think about Kitan's behavior earlier on today and what about Onose's big appetite that makes Kitan worry. Leave a comment below.I want to see if you are really enjoying this story and please vote,share while you are at it.Thanks.