Prologue

The Huang and Wen family shared a tradition. This tradition was passed on them by their great ancestors.

It was not new for Chinese families to believe on traditions. Some where interested on Feng Shui, some believe on horoscopes while many are on arranged marriage.

There was a common family tale that Wen family has. Their ancestor has nothing until they were able to read the stars. Yes, the stars. And now, the Wen family holds the largest number of hospitals worldwide. Since then, the family entrusted their life in the stars.

Wen Junhui, Wen family's successor, was the only bachelor in that room. Next to him were his parents, Xai's parents and Mr. Ong, the star reader.

The Huang's success was also from the story from the direction of the stars. They weren't as successful as the Wen's, but they were holding one of the best drug pharmaceutical of China.

"Junhui and Xai are old enough to get married." Mrs. Huang commented excitedly.

"And he's finally a doctor. He has the time now." His mom added.

Junhui smiled. Indeed, he was ready. Maybe, even Xai was ready. He didn't care if he's the first one to get married among his friends. They have many plans together and he was ecstatic to do everything in the list.

"My dearest Xai is an excellent pharmacist too. She gets the business very well. I am sure that they can help each other for the benefit of our families."

They just clicked. They have the same passion. They understood each other. Same beliefs, character and likes. Most importantly, they loved each other. Xai was perfect for him and he was perfect for her.

"Mr. Ong, you always read the stars for the family Huang and Wen." Mr. Huang said. It was just a coincidence that they shared the same star reader.

"Yes. And your stars only cross once a year. So, we can read your fortune today." Mr. Ong said as he gazed on the stars.

The two families would like to ask the stars for the fate of their children. The Wen and Huang family were once stranger to each other.

Nine years ago, Mr. Ong did not know that the two was dating. Junhui went home from his class and the star reader predicted that Jun was already close to his star.

His parents got excited about this prediction especially when they found out that he was dating the eldest of Huang's daughter. The Huang family agreed immediately on the arranged marriage. Xai and Junhui didn't care, for they were sure that they'll also get married at the right time.

All these years, Junhui and Xai were engaged and happy about it.

"And for nine years, he predicted correctly where Xai is." Mrs. Huang laughed.

Sometimes, Junhui thought that the predictions were full of crap. The reading was usually conducted in the Huang's mansion. It was understandable that the location of his significant other will only be inside the house.

Until one time, they sent Xai out to the mall to see if his prediction will change, and he also predicted it. That's why without any doubt, they began to trust all of his readings.

"The red string attached from Junhui tells me where his partner is." Mr. Ong traced an invisible thread on Junhui's hand. His fingers pointed at the door and he smiled.

"Mr. Ong, read the stars for us." Junhui's father impatiently asked.

The old man walked in the room's terrace. He stared at the sky and opened his palms up as if he was trying to grab them.

"This is the best year for marriage." Those were his first prediction.

"Do it immediately. A month is already long." The second prediction was more of a tip.

"Your years will become wealthy.
The businesses are producing many greens." The third prediction was an outcome of the marriage.

"And you..." He slowly turned to Junhui. "...will become happier."

Jun nodded. He really knew that he'll be happier once he and Xai are together. Since they were both busy on running each family's business, they didn't have a lot of time to see each other. Luckily, since they were both mature, they remained in love and faithful to one another.

"Xai and I are dating for almost ten years. Consistently, you are always saying that my star is from the Huang family."

"Yes." Mr. Ong agreed. He was sure that the star was under Huang's family.  He is not mistaken. Every twinkle of the stars are saying that it is in there. "The sky is pretty vivid tonight. I can even predict something much more exact."

"So, you won't just tell us if she's out of town or in the house?" Mrs. Wen asked.

"She'll open that door." Mr. Ong pointed the door once again.

Everyone laughed. Once the tradition is starting, nobody is allowed to interrupt anyone in the room even if there is an emergency. The employees and Xai were aware of it. Everyone knew, so nobody would even try.

"Nonsense. You've made it clear. No unmarried woman shall interrupt your readings-"

Suddenly, the door bursted open.

It was that someone who they forgot to remind. Someone that they don't think is counted in the family.

"I'm sorry. I forgot that it's the time of year. I'm very sorry." Huang Daoxi was surprised and shaken up. She bet that her face turned pale in an instant.

Everyone was horrified but no one dared to say a word. Daoxi immediately shut the door and ran away. She knew that she'll get more than talking later.

"T-that's not Xai. Your predictions were wrong." Jun growled.

"I never told you that it was Xai." Mr. Ong answered with a straight face.

Jun looked at the elders. They were in deep shock and thinking. After all these years, they believed that it was Junhui and Xai that were fated by the stars. Come to think of it, the predictions about the place of the star also told the place of Daoxi. She is also part of the Huang's Family. Their youngest.

"I will not marry her!" Jun protested.

"But the stars..." His mother reminded him. He knew how much that meant to his family. He couldn't be the one to break the magic of the stars.

"The hell with the stars." Jun was ready to step out of that room.

But he was called by Mr. Ong.

"Don't tangle your red strings with someone. It will only bring misfortune to the star." He faced him with a warning. Every word was emphasized. "And you will grieve it."

It was stars only.

Yes, the stars.

The stars could end a decade relationship.

And the thing that could put two people in a living hell.

"You may kiss the bride."

It was the loud cheering applause that put the two strangers back to reality.

Wen Junhui and Daoxi.

They were no longer strangers to each other. Or that's what they have to show.