11. Truth

Chapter Eleven

Truth

I dismissed Ace, pulling Sage back up to our room as quick as possible. I had to tell her, so she could prepare. 

"That dog is annoying," she mumbled. 

"He's not a dog, sweetness. He's a wolf." 

She pouted. "Still. I just wanted to see the barn." 

"I'll talk you out there later, I promise," I assured her, kissing her forehead. 

We entered my room, and I quickly set her on the bed. "We need to talk, baby." 

"Am I in trouble?" She teased. 

"No, of course not." 

She gazed up at me innocently, her big curious eyes searching my face. "Is something wrong?" 

"Sort of. Something could be wrong. But what I'm about to tell you, it is very hard for... humans to understand sometimes." 

"Are you going to kill me? That's it, huh?" Her eyes started to water. "I knew it would happen sometime. Tanner said you never keep them for long and that once a pet is done they are usually killed and I'm sorry I don't wanna die, Liam, and I know I'm not like other pets I don't do stuff and I'm not some sex goddess and I'm not very pretty and I'm maybe average looking and I'm not Alicia either I don't know what you want. Well, I kinda do but I'm too afraid to do it cuz I've never done it before but please don't kill me. I'll do better. I'll try. You can do whatever you want, I won't-" 

"Sage! Stop, hush, you're not going to die." 

She blinked away the tears, her bottom lip trembling. "I'm not?" 

"No, baby. Of course not. I could never hurt you." 

"You did. That one night-"

I put my hand over her mouth. "That's what I want to talk to you about, sweetness. Just calm down, okay?" 

She breathed in deeply, before smiling up at me. "Okay."

"I just want to start off by apologizing. Not everything I have given to you or done to you.... I'm not proud of it," I explained. "I should have done so much more, treated you very different." 

"Just get to it," Sage said, playfully. 

"Beings like me have mates. And you're mine," I said slowly, watching for her reaction. "Do you know what that means?" 

"We were made for each other? Like I'm your soulmate?" 

"Yes, yes," I claimed, excitedly. "You're mine. And I'm yours forever." 

Her eyes were narrowed as she thought deeply. "How long have you known?" 

"Since my men put you in front of me for the sacrifice." 

She furrowed her brows, looking up at me confusedly. "You slept with her when you knew we were soulmates?" 

"Yes, well-"

"And you attacked me?" 

I cupped her beautiful face. "I'm sorry, Sage. That's what I was talking about. I'm not proud of it. But... I slept with Alicia because they were started to make assumptions. I had to throw them off. And I'm so sorry for that. I thought because you weren't attached to me and the mark was fresh it wouldn't hurt, I swear. I'm so sorry."  I dotted kisses over her forehead and cheeks. "Please forgive me, Sage, kitten." 

"I don't forgive you, but we can work towards it," she murmured. "Because for some reason I can't be mad at you." 

I grinned down at her. "Sounds good."