Chapter five

Author's note: Okay so as promised it's another month, so another chapter. This chapter has been one of the harder chapters for me to write for some reason, but I couldn't be any more thankful for pbell12019  who took the time out of their busy schedule to edit this chapter for me! I couldn't believe how smoothly this chapter flowed after getting it back from them. So, thank you so much for editing my chapter!

Word count: 6,974 Words

Monday April 20, 2000

Hermione

I huff in annoyance as I try to tuck my unruly hair back into a low ponytail with a black elastic. Baby hairs pop out of the ponytail and stick out on the side of my face and neck. I growl and tug the elastic back out and grab my hairbrush; tugging through the vicious tangles and take my wand and magically tuck it back into a higher up ponytail with the same elastic and call it a day with my hair. I brush my teeth and slip black wedge heels on at the same time. Calling me into work an hour and a half early is not exactly what I'd consider sleeping in. I grumble to myself while slipping on my navy blue blazer on over my black button down cotton blouse and straighten my navy pencil skirt. This is as professional and put together as the ministry is going to be getting today. I put my hairbrush back down on my counter and grab my purse on my way out the door. I cross the street to the apparation point and disappear out of thin air.

     The ministry is crawling with early risers and much more professional looking witches and wizards. I grab a daily prophet from the stand and drop the money in the little cup that the older wizard is holding out and make my way to the elevators to take me to my floor and the solidarity of my office. It is way too early to be around all of these people. I let the little house elf drop off the person before me and then we fall into small conversation as the elevator lifts two more floors to drop me off. The house elf bids me a good day with a small waggle of his floppy ears and then disappears behind four more people cramming themselves in the elevator. I close my office door behind me and flop down at my desk to see two more folders that had been dropped off for me to start on as soon as I stepped through the door. One of the two folders has a bright pink sticky note on it with the main secretary's handwriting on it that says: This one first. Deadline on May 20th, 2000. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and flip the folder open and peer inside the file.

A tiny gasp escapes my lips as I read the contents of the file.

Lucius Malfoy wants early release from Azkaban.

I can't just let him go. The file is littered with all bits and pieces of evidence for good behavior, parole options, and so on. I flick over the rest of the file with a shake of my head as I see all that Lucius Malfoy has been charged with. A few things Mr. Malfoy even confessed to. Lucius Malfoy has been sentenced to thirty years in Azkaban if he could live that long in an environment such as that. He's only spent nearly two. In any case my belief is that someone should be in prison for at least ten years before I thought about making and building a case for a person and being their lawyer. What's even weirder is that I was requested to be this man's lawyer even though he hates my guts and I'd just finally started to be civil with his son. Stress fills the pit of my stomach as I let the thoughts spin around in my head. If I take this case it could break any foundation that I have started to build with Malfoy. If I don't take this case I'd be saving myself from mixing work and my personal life together and causing a massive mess. Then again if I take this case and Malfoy happens to be third person in my little marriage law love triangle then that would be even worse. It would cause more strain than I should personally have to deal with. The only thing I can think of is to owl Malfoy and ask for his presence in my office today to discuss motives and figure out what he personally would like for me to do with his father's case and the fact I'd been Mr. Malfoy's request for a lawyer. I rub my temples and check the time. 8:21. An hour and a half early for work, just beginning my shift, and this has been dumped in my lap. I grab ministry stamped paper, my quill, and an envelope and begin my letter to Malfoy.